1 12" vs 2 10" subs

Hello people, I've been wondering. What would be louder between a single 12" sub in a 4cube sealed box and 2 10" subs in a 4cube sealed box (2cube per chamber) in general?.....I think the box size and design has a lot to do with output but I'm not sure what frequencies would be murdered (loudest) in a big box compared to a smaller box....thanx before hand

Hello people, I've been wondering. What would be louder between a single 12" sub in a 4cube sealed box and 2 10" subs in a 4cube sealed box (2cube per chamber) in general?.....I think the box size and design has a lot to do with output but I'm not sure what frequencies would be murdered (loudest) in a big box compared to a smaller box....thanx before hand
are u set on sealed ? 4 cubes is a lil big for 2 10s sealed .depending on power 2 10s ported would be optimal

I have to go sealed...my amps low pass filter is a bit faulty, I'm afraid I might tune the port a bit too high, the subs might bottom out, I listen to rap most of the time

I have to go sealed...my amps low pass filter is a bit faulty, I'm afraid I might tune the port a bit too high, the subs might bottom out, I listen to rap most of the time
you'd definitely want ported, sealed you'll get more higher frequencies that need to be controlled by a low pass and you wont get anywhere near as much output as ported, i'm sure this guy can help you out with the design http://www.caraudio.com/forums/enclosure-design-construction-help/578344-nkrell11s-free-enclosure-designs-cut-sheet-whoever-wants-one.html

The 2 10s will probably give you better sensitivity, other things being equal. However, the 12 inch will hit the lows better. That's because, normally, 12 inch subs have a lower F3 in a sealed box that gives them the best qtc, and also lower resonance frequency. Of course, if you have a capable equalizer or a custom designed ported box, then the 10s will be just as good in terms of SPL and frequency response.

PS: I don't mean your sealed box, but the optimal sealed box of course. Who knows how things will work out in your box. Even sealed box should roughly be close to the subwoofer requirements. Some 12 inch subs will have good qtc in a 2 cu ft box. Others could do well in just 1cu ft.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.