05 Nissan Titan King Cab setting up

WakeNBake520

CarAudio.com Recruit
US
Looking to get get something that actually pounds in my truck. Now I’ve got a DVC (4ohm) 15” Kicker L7 solo baric with the ported box recommended in the Manual (4.5 ft^3).

Running on Alpine MRX-M240. Not loud enough for me. (I thought this would be but).

I’m now considering getting a Skar ZVX 15” ( not sure on DVC 1 or 2 ohm ??) mounted in this box (vertically with port upward, should be ok right?) with the 2000w skar amp ran at .5 ohms.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Power QBOMB15VL SINGLE Single 15-Inch Side Vented Speaker Box with Durable Bed Liner Spray

Pre-fab boxes aren't ideal. Steer clear of Skar. Look at the Taramps Smart 3k or MD3000.1 for power. Look at a Fi 15" or Sundown X15. I'm running an American Bass HD15d2 and it hits hard. Not sure what your budget is, but your electrical needs to be in order, as well.

Budget isn’t what I wish it could be. But want something that will make my lighter dance at the least lol.

Skar is not very good or? I’ll check out what u recommended n see if it’s possible. I need a new head unit too. Have old pioneer but it’s very glitched bc of re-soldering broken connections to usb.

I figured pre fab boxes were eh but wanted to double check. I have two 4x8 3/4” mdf boards screaming at me to use them just not sure exactly what or how to do it.

I made the box for the L7 but honestly I’m not impressed with return on that sub granted it’s the dual4 not 2. But still. Plus the box recommended by manual takes up so much room in the truck it’s difficult to get a good layout. Especially if I thought about a dedicated battery.

Gonna check ur recommendations n I’ll b back

As long as you got the amp and L7 I wouldn't give up on them yet personally. Maybe get something built for that sub on that power and tuned/configured for your music tastes and vehicle. Granted there will always be something louder but I'd try to make the best out of what you got 1st.
I've heard a single15" Kicker L7 do pretty damn good before... even on lower power.
Got any pics of the install?

I will get some tomorrow. I thought I’d be much more satisfied with the equipment I have. Which makes me kind of think I am not doing something quite right or am overlooking some minor but significant detail(s).

The box I made to the specs given by kicker including the port tuning. I am not completely new to installs but there’s a LOT still to learn for me. Even some of the smaller techniques. Like the best way to put terminals on 1,2,3/0 wire in order to not create unintended resistance and get a solid connection to connection ports on amp, or with wire that large it’s tough to solder the copper terminal rings or Stubbs to it, n it’s heavy enough that a crimp doesn’t seem to keep the weight from gradually loosening it.

Ill take pics of whole set up and post em.

#1 The box I made to the specs given by kicker including the port tuning.

#2 Wire that large it’s tough to solder the copper terminal rings or Stubbs to it, n it’s heavy enough that a crimp doesn’t seem to keep the weight from gradually loosening it.

On the 1st point I quoted above... factory recommended volume and tuning is all fine and good but can be improved upon usually in my experience and enclosures done right are more than volume/tuning... install and vehicle taken into consideration along with music type/goals are just as important. Then proper tuning of course... :LOL:

Regarding the second point... large guage wire IS very difficult to solder so an impact or hydraulic crimper is probably the easiest/most effective way to attach lugs to 0ga and thicker wire.
I'm in Tucson also, have no crimper but others in town do... it's just a matter of meeting them and asking.

I'm in Tucson also, have no crimper but others in town do... it's just a matter of meeting them and asking.
[/QUOTE]

Get yourself one of these for $20. It works like a charm.
Screenshot_20200307-152505_Gallery.jpg

I used to solder all my 1/0. Pretty easy. Just need a torch and alot of solder. Solder pellets make it alot easier. But a hammer crimper is cheap and hydro crimpers are like $35 now. I use my hydro crimper for in vehicle things and the hammer crimper outside.

I would avoid Skar audio. Especially running the 2k at half an ohm. :oops:

You say the 4.5 cube box takes up too much space so why not go with four 8s?

I used to solder all my 1/0. Pretty easy. Just need a torch and alot of solder. Solder pellets make it alot easier. But a hammer crimper is cheap and hydro crimpers are like $35 now. I use my hydro crimper for in vehicle things and the hammer crimper outside.

I would avoid Skar audio. Especially running the 2k at half an ohm. :oops:

You say the 4.5 cube box takes up too much space so why not go with four 8s?

Wouldn't 4 good 8's require the same cubes. I tried to leave two cubes net for my two. I C that it says .65-1.0 cubes ported, so, I guess he could shoot for 3 cubes net for four of them. Or, sell his sub and get a nice dual 2 ohm 15" in the same box.

What’s your electrical, that half bridge alpine may be too much for your electrical to really get out even close to that rms rating. Since you already have the amp maybe you should beef up your electrical.

Wouldn't 4 good 8's require the same cubes. I tried to leave two cubes net for my two. I C that it says .65-1.0 cubes ported, so, I guess he could shoot for 3 cubes net for four of them. Or, sell his sub and get a nice dual 2 ohm 15" in the same box.

Ran my SA8s in .5 each as recommended by Sundown. They were nasty. 4 8s half the box size.

Ran my SA8s in .5 each as recommended by Sundown. They were nasty. 4 8s half the box size.

I hear ya. Some people like the SA8's and some like the VFL8'. Mine sound good in two cubes net getting 450 watts each from a DD M.80b. Isn't the OP's box too small for the L7 15". I thought those need about 6 cubes for max output?

So I should correct what I stated originally, I actually made the 6.0 ft^3 box. Attaching page from manual. I think that the box is probably not the best for my truck because of the limited space? And the layout etc. I had it mounted with the port pointed up and on the center side of the truck, placed behind the passenger seat.

because of the floor contour the box will not sit level or clear down so I have used a ratcheting tie down and secured it to the back wall which worked pretty well actually. This still makes for not too much passenger room (front seat). Another thing I think is problematic is that the port isn’t supposed to mount vertically.. I have read that somewhere on this forum but hadn’t ever heard it before.

As far as power goes I have 2/0 wire running on a yellow top optima battery. I am not sure what else I should do to improve the power situation. I should also mention I have another amp ran for the door speakers but it is only 320w max. I’ve taken the sub out now and am going to set it up in parallel because it sounded much better that way before. As far as the connections to the sub terminals, I think the manual recommends 4ga wire for them but obviously that won’t fit in the spring terminals. What’s the best way to hook these up?

as far as 8s go, I’ve always been a fan of deeper fuller bass so I’ve never really given them a chance. Another question regarding wire terminations...Whats the best way to reduce diameter in order to fit into connections? ( kinda asked same thing above but)

Hammer crimper i found for $20 but hydro can’t find for less than 50/60$..

Attachments

• 5B707FA1-09C9-4F5C-8556-9F3B0FC657A2.png
    5B707FA1-09C9-4F5C-8556-9F3B0FC657A2.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 176
Hammer crimper i found for $20 but hydro can’t find for less than 50/60$..

This is the one I have. $35 shipped.

Are you talking about reducing the 2/0 to fit your lugs? You either have the shave the wire strands down or buy bigger lugs. I use 2/0 lugs from Windy Nation for my 2/0 welding cable and 1/0 car audio wire.

I've had 8" subwoofers to 21" subwoofers and the 8s will play just as "deep" as 21s. It's a myth that 8s can't play low. Mine played 25hz daily.

Getting the 2/0 into a “pin terminal” in order to fit it into the amp power port / distribution block.

As far as the 8”s go, do they get same bass but not as much SCL (think that’s the right acronym)?

What’s the pros cons of smaller vs bigger subs besides space availability?

Didn’t realize there even were 21” subs. 😳🤯

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.