Xmax/Excursion. What subs have the most?

What "mark" is the brahma? The guy im talking to about the older model xxx also has a brahma 12 but said he wont sell it..

That MT is bad ace. How is the SQ on MT's? I assume garbage?

Worth noting is that many of the xmax figures being thrown around in this thread are actually xmag (ie, excursion at 70% BL).

I would normally consider coil overhang (or underhang) to be xmax, which is how it was taken traditionally...

I love how people have these "custom subs" that have either a 4 spoke or a 12 spoke basket but have a "50mm xmax".. hate to tell you guys.. neither of those baskets can support anywhere near that much movement withought the spiders bottoming out..

couple of hints

1- Even for SPL MTX RFL's were TERRIBLE... RFL stood for realy fuc^&*ing lousy.. I was dragging when they came out... everyone tried them.. noone kept them..

2-How can you look at 2 subs that are moving... determine that they are moving the same amount... and somehow know what % of BL product is left so you can psychically determine that they have the same XMAX (you guys do realize there is a calculation for XMAX right??.. us manufacturers dont just "take a guess"

3- to the guy with the Treo.. no way in hell can it have that much XMAX... the motor doesnt have a large enough area of flux to even come close to that... great motor for what its intended for.. but XMAX is not what it was intended for.. it was a narrow gap HIGH bL motor..

4-yup... I'm done //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I love how people have these "custom subs" that have either a 4 spoke or a 12 spoke basket but have a "50mm xmax".. hate to tell you guys.. neither of those baskets can support anywhere near that much movement withought the spiders bottoming out..
couple of hints

1- Even for SPL MTX RFL's were TERRIBLE... RFL stood for realy fuc^&*ing lousy.. I was dragging when they came out... everyone tried them.. noone kept them..

2-How can you look at 2 subs that are moving... determine that they are moving the same amount... and somehow know what % of BL product is left so you can psychically determine that they have the same XMAX (you guys do realize there is a calculation for XMAX right??.. us manufacturers dont just "take a guess"

3- to the guy with the Treo.. no way in hell can it have that much XMAX... the motor doesnt have a large enough area of flux to even come close to that... great motor for what its intended for.. but XMAX is not what it was intended for.. it was a narrow gap HIGH bL motor..

4-yup... I'm done //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
1) Yep. I believe I already mentioned in this thread that the 12-spoke frame will not allow 40mm of excursion, its max being in the mid 30's. The 4-spoke ("Venezuelan") frame was slightly less than that, but basically the same, iirc.

2) Yep. I also already mentioned that the guy claiming his HCCA moves as much as his friends' XXX is comparing apples to oranges. Ive seen xmax referred to in terms of BL loss (70%), distortion thresholds (THD levels), and the most simplistic overhang measurement. He used none of these to compare the drivers, so his conclusions on xmax comparisons is fatally flawed.

3) Seems like you are just repeating the same things Ive said already. lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif True, the SSX motor cannot support anywhere near the claimed xmax figured stated in this thread. Like SPLaudio said, its a motor limited design, and the motor does not have anywhere near that excursion potential. And, a lot of people here are not only comparing BL xmax to overhang and/or THD derived xmax figures, they are also attempting to compare peak-to-peak xmech figures, which is just silly and hopelessly incorrect.

4) N/A.

Let me sum it up, since things are getting a bit diluted. The 06+ RE XXX is the undisputed king of excursion, when comparing production drivers (leave the Parthenon out of this discussion). No other driver has as much excursion potential as a XXX, let alone more. I dont even know of another driver that's even very close to it. I think the LMS 5400 is probably the next closest, and its 'only' 38-44mm (dont remember exactly).

So, if you think your sub has as much or more excursion than a XXX, and you are not running an Adire Parthenon, then you think wrong. Completely wrong. Period.

Well the guy withthe older 12'' XXX said his brother sliced the surround while taking the XXX out of the box.. so he sold me the brahma instead.

104_0256.jpg

Thoughts?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...