RE SR 10 @ 600WRMS but still not responsive

Look.. Don't over power your sub to 400-500... Rf is underrated as it is..(also last time i was in math 1/4 of 600 is not 300... FYI you are only feeding it half the power it wants/needs) what is the voltage of your headunit outputs.. 2? 4? 6? 8? also.. what kind of vehicle is this in.. maybe i missed it.. do you have the polarity mixed up? ported will give you a louder deeper response.. sealed is good for quick thumping bass not so much boomy..

This is incorrect. 1/4th gain does NOT mean 1/4th output. not usually even close... FYI 1/4th gain in some applications could yeild full rated power from the amp.

check Gain setting threads on this site.

use this..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/search.gif.e79a63b2b580b39b282dff402646b704.gif

Also, what is quick thumping bass?

This is incorrect. 1/4th gain does NOT mean 1/4th output. not usually even close... FYI 1/4th gain in some applications could yeild full rated power from the amp.check Gain setting threads on this site.

use this..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/search.gif.e79a63b2b580b39b282dff402646b704.gif

Also, what is quick thumping bass?
any gain setting WILL result in the full rated power... Given you turn the headunit up enough.. now then.. if the speakers are getting to loud before the sub is getting its preferred output level you can turn the gain up so long as you don't crank the h/u all the way up.. It also has to do with how many volts are coming out of your pre-outs which is why i asked him what his were..

quick thumping bass would be a kick drum.. fast but still thumping...

any gain setting WILL result in the full rated power... Given you turn the headunit up enough.. now then.. if the speakers are getting to loud before the sub is getting its preferred output level you can turn the gain up so long as you don't crank the h/u all the way up.. It also has to do with how many volts are coming out of your pre-outs which is why i asked him what his were..
quick thumping bass would be a kick drum.. fast but still thumping...
This is partially true, except i wouldn't look at it like this...

instead, Set the Gain to the maximum desired level, Mark the level. And lower the gain untill your desired level of bass is achieved.

You can't just keep putting the gain up just because the HU isn't all the way up...

Many times you will see a situation where with your gain all the way up, you will clip the **** out of your sub and blow it even at 50% volume at the HU.

and FYI ported enclosures can produce "quick thumping bass" just as well as sealed

This is partially true, except i wouldn't look at it like this...instead, Set the Gain to the maximum desired level, Mark the level. And lower the gain untill your desired level of bass is achieved.

You can't just keep putting the gain up just because the HU isn't all the way up...

Many times you will see a situation where with your gain all the way up, you will clip the **** out of your sub and blow it even at 50% volume at the HU.

and FYI ported enclosures can produce "quick thumping bass" just as well as sealed
Set it to where you want then lower it to where you want??? what..?

I never said set the gain all the way up.. also its about how many volts your h/u puts out..

and I was saying the tighter sound..

Set it to where you want then lower it to where you want??? what..?
I never said set the gain all the way up.. also its about how many volts your h/u puts out..

and I was saying the tighter sound..
No, in other words, Set the gain to the maximum you can and go down from there to match correctly... never up. It does depend on the voltage of your outputs also.

However, Many HU will clip before thier full potential output, so many people, (esspecially those who run their speakers on amps) will set their system to acheive full desired output at a level less than 100% of the HU potential, Making the Voltage of the outputs you should use to set your gains slightly different.

I have an RE SR10D4 (in .5 cube feet sealed) powered by an RF P600.1BD and the sub isn't that responsive. It's barely flexing for a lot of songs. Its only responsive to bass songs. I thought this sub is for SQL?
I set the gain at 1/4th and the LP filter at 80hz with subsonic filter off... How can i improve the bass? How high can i set the gain to? Should i increase or decrease the LP filter? What can i do with the box to improve, put polyfill?

Any help and advise would be appreciated. Thanks!
I had the same problem when I installed my Memphis'. It's funny, no matter how hard you plan a system and how tech smart you get, if you forget how to tune it right you end up with this problem //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

You need to set your HU almost to clipping then turn your gains up right before clipping on the amp.

then turn the HU down and have fun!

Definitely stay off the bass boost, like i said in the sealed enclosure i wouldn't risk 400-500... even though your coil might handle it your subs suspension may not.
If your output isn't sufficient, the most cost effective fix will probably be a ported box.

In a sealed enclosure output is mostly derived from excursion. And your subs rated RMS in the sealed enclosure includes the fact that going past that power level puts your sub at risk of mechanical failure.

In a ported enclosure, the closer to the tuning frequency, the more efficient the sub is, and the less excursion it takes to yield the same output. In this way, the proper use of a ported enclosure enables you to overcome mechanical limits of the sub while increasing the power closer to the subs thermal capacity.

In short, it's louder and with a proper, low tuning can sound just as good or better in many cases as a sealed.
Yup, i'm looking at this option IF i'm not happy after adjusting my amp settings later today. Just got my hand on an analog multimeter.

I had the same problem when I installed my Memphis'. It's funny, no matter how hard you plan a system and how tech smart you get, if you forget how to tune it right you end up with this problem //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gifYou need to set your HU almost to clipping then turn your gains up right before clipping on the amp.

My finger's are crossed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nerd.gif.c6fa51ddf7ff75f1c0371fbc648f70ae.gif , i'm just about to re-tune everything later today. I'm planning to use a -3db test tone and will probably use 80% of my stock (mazda3) HU's max volume. Wishe me luck.

One thing though, i still don't know what voltage to use for setting my sub lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

I've been getting mixed opinions on overpowering it a bit or setting it just right...

On the side, should i be fiddling with the ohms adjustment knob on the analog multimeter or that's irrelevant?

Yup, i'm looking at this option IF i'm not happy after adjusting my amp settings later today. Just got my hand on an analog multimeter.

My finger's are crossed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nerd.gif.c6fa51ddf7ff75f1c0371fbc648f70ae.gif , i'm just about to re-tune everything later today. I'm planning to use a -3db test tone and will probably use 80% of my stock (mazda3) HU's max volume. Wishe me luck.

One thing though, i still don't know what voltage to use for setting my sub lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

I've been getting mixed opinions on overpowering it a bit or setting it just right...

On the side, should i be fiddling with the ohms adjustment knob on the analog multimeter or that's irrelevant?
Start with rated power, and if the mech limits can handle more......feed it more

what meter?

I had the same problem when I installed my Memphis'. It's funny, no matter how hard you plan a system and how tech smart you get, if you forget how to tune it right you end up with this problem //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gifYou need to set your HU almost to clipping then turn your gains up right before clipping on the amp.

Your spot on buddy. Just finished SUCCESSFULLY tuning my system following the amp setting tutorial and all the advice i've been getting from this thread (Thanks everybody! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif) and I'm VERY happy with the SR now. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Not thinking of porting it or upgrading it! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Apparently, my gains for the sub were too low! I've got it at 400WRMS now, max HU volume and max bass knob boost. After tuning everything, i've set the bass boost on 3/4ths (300WRMS) which it give's me some room for a little more thump once the sub softens up //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

If anything, i'm now very disappointed with my separates (kicker ds680.2) LOL It's too high even with treble set at -6! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif I'm going to try putting the stock tweets back and see how that works out... then upgrade in the future. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/greedy.gif.5a53e6246569d7ab79867170f3b06629.gif

Start with rated power, and if the mech limits can handle more......feed it more

what meter?
Followed your advice buddy, thanks! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Heh, the only TRUE way to know how many RMS you are getting is to stick a VOLT meter on and measure the AC on the posts, then square that measurement and divide by the OHM and that my friend is the actual RMS value.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.