A good install gone bad

ok ill check that out..the only thing that scares me bout my install was the fact that i had to run a 15ft. batch of wires to the trunk and the stock amp...The other end of that is wired to the HU but the stock wire is left hanging in the dash (the stock one has all the purple green, black white etc. stereo cables) there were two sets of pos. and negative and i spliced into a set of those (assuming they were for the HU) to power it up. (there was no power wire to plug into). im pretty sure that was right but thats the only abnormal thing i coulda done...

BINGO!

the onyl way to connect to the factory amp would ahve been teh preouts..

(if the deck ahd them) if you spliced htem in, without proper RCA cables, you may have just fried em..

buh bye deck..

there are no RCAs.. its just all the color coded wires (for the speakers) in a bunch that run from the amp in the trunk up to the dash and are supposed to be spliced into the wires on the head undit. However there were no positive and negative in that bunch so i spliced into the positive and negative (off the plug with the same color coded wires for the speakers that orignaly plugged into the stock HU) and connected them to the headunit. Also why would it work fine for a couple days then just stop?

well, you basically ran an amplifier to another amplifier, lol.

thats bad...

if you hav ea deck with no preouts, you cant run an amp without a (hi level, i think) input on your amp..

rip ou thte deck...

run a new power wire from your battery (FUSE IT) and wir ewa ner ground to something good,...

also, wire up an accessory, does it work?

if yes, its not your deck, if no, then you fried it my son...

Well i just did what the installer at best buy told me to do and what the instructions with the metra install kit (wich included moving ac, climate conrols and all that) told me to do. What your saying makes sense as far as the power wire is concerned but how did i run an amp to an amp? I belive what all the cables do is bypass the factory amp, allowing the headunits to power the system. I guess i just dont understand how i could have fried a headunit by running the same power that was powering the stock unit ( and the power that it should be made to run off of) and by bypassing the stock amp. Seems to me everything should have checkout based on what i know from putting 2 HUs in my car and a couple others in freinds..its just that ****D tore as is not standard in anyway.

k, stupi dinternet getting in the way..

try waht i mentioned, the pwoer wire thing, remember to fuse!

the HU has an internal amp, by running wires form the speaker outs on the hu, you are running an amplified signal into an amp, and unless the amp has high level inputs (speaker wires,) youa re trying to amplify an amplfied signal..

just cut out the factory amp, they only cause problems..

high THD's anyways, small power..

cut it out, just run wires rom the speaker outs ont eh HU to teh speakers...

its MUCH easier and kill liely sound better...

ok i will try that. Can i just splice into a positive or negative somewhere under the dash instead of runnin a little tiny wire all the way to battery and then ground just for the HU? that would work as long as i still fuse it to? how do i fuse sumthin like that?

just pull the deck out, runa new wire right from teh battery.

doesnt have to be truly run.. run it outside the car..

this way, you can make SURE that its not the deck.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

RcRacerDrew

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
RcRacerDrew
Carmel, IN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date