Cerwin Vega Vpro124d - dual 2 or 4 ohm?

Hey fellas, I'm looking to buy two Cerwin Vega Vpro 12" subwoofers and am really stuck on whether or not I should get the dual 2 or 4 ohm versions.

I'm looking more for SQ than pure SPL.  But at the same time I want to maximize the amount of bass for the money spent.

My amp is Audiopipe APSM-1500, which is rated 1400 x 1 @ 1 ohm RMS and 950 x 1 @ 2 ohm RMS.

Now I understand that to maximize the output of the amp, I'd need to go with the 4 ohm version of the subs, for a 1 ohm mono load.  But my question is, do I really need to?  These subs are rated 750w RMS, which I suspect is WILDLY overrated, I'm thinking they can handle 400w RMS long term.  My box is a ported 1.75cf per chamber tuned @ 35 hz.  Will I get a huge amount more bass output by wiring at 1 ohm instead of 2 ohm mono, and is that extra output worth running the subs at their maximum limit, where it's questionable how well they'd hold up at that power?

My thinking is that a 2 ohm mono load would be easier on the subs and amplifier, at the expense of some some maximum volume with some extra SQ.  I'm just curious how much potential volume I'd be leaving on the table.  Also the dual 2 and 4 ohm versions of this sub have slightly different T/S parameters-- the dual 2 ohm version has T/S params that favor a ported box a bit more than the dual 4 ohm.  Curious what you all think.  If there are any other subs substantially better than the CV I'm considering for around $100, please feel free to comment on that too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go with the dual 4s, Cerwin Vega makes a decent product, I don't doubt those subs will handle 750rms.

However with the size amp you are running I would go with the Vega series (red surrounds) instead of the Vega Pros. They are more efficient and will make better use of the limited power you have available. 

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_94254_Cerwin-Vega-V124DV2.html

Then again if you're in the $100 range you should take a look at the American Bass XD 1244 and a B stock Sundown E12.

https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/products/american-bass-xd-1244-12-inch-500w-rms-dvc-4-ohm-subwoofer.html

http://www.caraudiobargain.com/b-stock-sundown-audio-ev3-12-subwoofer-500w-e-series/

Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow I missed the E-mails notifying me of a reply, missed these posts until now.  Have heard great things about Sundown, while the CV was more of a shot in the dark.  The Sundown according to T/S parameters would have been better in a ported box.  What does the "B-stock" imply?

I ended up going with the dual 4-ohm which turned out to be the right decision as the subs seem to handle the power nicely.  I was unsure what my exact tuning frequency would end up being, because the prefab manufacturers don't give NET volume, so they don't subtract port volume or driver displacement.  Thus the tuning frequency will be higher than the spec they publish.  After rough calculating and running some test tones through it, I can tell it is tuned roughly in the mid-high 30's range.

According to some WinISD modeling, the CV would have a huge output peak around 35-45 hz, and it sure does.  Required a fair bit of tweaking the EQ on my head unit to get things evened out.  It's ridiculously loud and sounds great with rap, R&B type stuff with lots of sustained low notes, even quick transitioning ones.  It isn't as good with rock, or more dynamic music with more punchy and/or higher notes.

I'm questioning if I should have gone with sealed boxes for these, but I haven't played with it enough yet to determine if ported was a bad idea.  One thing is for sure, is they are a great value for the price, more than enough output and the sub doesn't have to work too hard-- handles power great until you get below 30hz then you have to tame the movement with the subsonic filter to keep the sub from bottoming out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.