Is there a difference between 2 (lower wattage) amps and 1 5 channel?

Participant count
  • Participant list

evil_lies

Texas
I am upgrading my stereo on a budget in my dodge ram. I'm putting a single 10 under the rear seat and only need like 300 watts for that. Eventually I'd like to power the front stage, but not necessarily right now. It seems easier to just get a 5 channel amp to have it all ready to go, but a mono amp for the sub right now is cheaper and I can add a 4 channel later. Is there any issues with power draw with 2 smaller amps vs the 5 channel? I get it the 5 channel craps put I loose everything but the rest speaker.

I am upgrading my stereo on a budget in my dodge ram. I'm putting a single 10 under the rear seat and only need like 300 watts for that. Eventually I'd like to power the front stage, but not necessarily right now. It seems easier to just get a 5 channel amp to have it all ready to go, but a mono amp for the sub right now is cheaper and I can add a 4 channel later. Is there any issues with power draw with 2 smaller amps vs the 5 channel? I get it the 5 channel craps put I loose everything but the rest speaker.
there isnt any issues with power draw as long as you acommodate for the end result power needs on initial install. e.g. if you run 0 gauge to a distro block and 4 gauge in short runs from the distro to the amp, youll likely be good. all depends on the total amperage draw youll need to be prepared for based on the amps you end up using

You will like the flexibility of having separate amps.

Power at the level you are looking for should not require more that good grade power wiring and fusing.

What box and sub are you getting

In truck you cn get wy with a 4 channel amp using it to run a good set of components in front and bridging the rear channels to run the sub. I f bsolutely wnt rer set run them from HU

That box is small for a 10 to sound very good to start with and kickers while vey popular for starters are air hogs

Most like that are cheap due to low grade material and workmanship

That box is small for a 10 to sound very good to start with and kickers while vey popular for starters are air hogs Most like that are cheap due to low grade material and workmanship
Yeah I was mainly buying the box i don't mind replacing the sub down the line. It looks like the Dayton Reference can work in this box. I was going to build one for an 8" or maybe 2 6.5" subs if they fit, but I saw the price on this and got lazy and decided to try it first. And I pulled the sub out last night. The box looks good to me. I didn't measure the thickness, but it looks like its 3/4" or close to it.

For the money I would have bought it also.Silicon the crap out of it and grab a E8 sundown from the yard sale for $55

Kickers always sell quickly on Craigslist
I was thinking about buying from the yard sale, but I don't know enough about speaker repair if I get one that needs it so it will just cost more to get fixed. I might as well buy new. I do have an old MTX sub I can try in there for free if I don't like the Kicker though.

For the money I would have bought it also.Silicon the crap out of it and grab a E8 sundown from the yard sale for $55

Kickers always sell quickly on Craigslist
i wouldnt use papermaker as a reference LOL (just giving you grief)

op,

also make sure you read all the disclaimers on the yard sale if you choose to go that route

youll hardly find anyone on here that doesnt like daytons

I've ran a few 5 ch amps in the past and worked out pretty well. I have my 3rd 5 ch amp sitting behind me and it's the biggest 5 ch amp I've seen/have in my posession.

Basically your call....5 ch amp easier to wire up than 2 amps.

I've ran a few 5 ch amps in the past and worked out pretty well. I have my 3rd 5 ch amp sitting behind me and it's the biggest 5 ch amp I've seen/have in my posession.
Basically your call....5 ch amp easier to wire up than 2 amps.
Awesome, thanks. I think I'm just going to run a 4 channel for now, bridging 2 channels to the sub. If I need to expand it later I'll put in a small mono amp to the subwoofer.

Awesome, thanks. I think I'm just going to run a 4 channel for now, bridging 2 channels to the sub. If I need to expand it later I'll put in a small mono amp to the subwoofer.
Back in my broke® days about all I did was 4 ch set ups. It pretty much comes down to power IMO. If you get a cheap 50x4 that's only ~150 bridged you're going to be pretty limited.

Get a decent 100x4 that's 300-400 bridged and there's a lot more potential.

Good front speakers and due diligence on the sub/enclosure and you can do well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.