Edge ED510A - Amp clipping?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Kyle F

Hey guys.

So a year ago some people may remember my thread regarding my Edge ED512A 900W subwoofer where the voice coil blew. Well, it seems it didn't completely blow as it still somewhat works. It's just 20 - 40 Hz excursion doesn't sound so good or almost barely hear it. 45-50+ Hz seems fine. As a result, I purchased a new sub but this one is an ED510A 750W. So I bought this 10" sub from someone who had only used it for 3 months and was too much for her little Ford KA so she had it removed and stored in her garage for 6 months just sitting there. It gathered dust, started growing this weird stuff inside the enclosure. So I cleaned it up, scraped the moss out and hoovered it up. Took a wee look at the subwoofer itself, gave it as much of a hoover clean as I could and connected it back to the amp and tested it. Sounds, works fine. HOWEVER. Sometimes when I look at the cone and dust cap, I see that it 'looks' like it's clipping. (the amp of course) But this is where I need you geniuses opinions. I did a few oscilloscope tests with an app on my phone and PA Tone (the very same PA Tone that EXOcontralto uses) to do some tests. The oscilloscope waves look normal and doesn't show clipping, so I can tell. (screenshots of a few included) I would like your opinions and suggestions/resolutions if possible.

Now to clear things up, I have my Philips FWM608/12 system connected to a AUX splitter as my AUX from my subs' amplifier connects into the splitter as well and they both connect into my PC on-board sound card. All EQ settings on my FxSound Enhancer app (on my PC) are all set to flat.

Could you tell me if (to you) the sound waves in the screenshots look good? I used the oscilloscope with absolutely no high frequencies from my main speakers. I turned my Hi-Fi system off and left the subwoofer on during the playing of a song to get the subs' low frequency sound tests with the crossover turned down. A picture of the settings used on the amp for crossover, bass boost and gain is also included.

Thank you.

P.S I should also mention the amp is powered by a 650W PC power supply. View attachment 26557420View attachment 26557421View attachment 26557422View attachment 26557423

Hey guys.
So a year ago some people may remember my thread regarding my Edge ED512A 900W subwoofer where the voice coil blew. Well, it seems it didn't completely blow as it still somewhat works. It's just 20 - 40 Hz excursion doesn't sound so good or almost barely hear it. 45-50+ Hz seems fine. As a result, I purchased a new sub but this one is an ED510A 750W.
I'm curious as to the box type and tuning... IDK... all that about clipping causing output problems below a certain threshold seems a bit off to me. Do you have a pic of your setup?

Seriously... if this is what you're tryin to pull under 40hz from... you got a lotta changes to make... lol

9zyDFuR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My 750W 10" sub is fine as far as the frequencies. It doesn't have any issue driving the lower frequencies, only my 900W 12" one did because I thought I blew the voice coil. It seems the voice coil is going out on the 12" one, but it still works..it just doesn't perform properly with the lower frequencies for bass excursion.

As for my 750W 10" sub, I was only asking about amp clipping as sometimes it looks like it might be. But I'm not 100% sure. I did a soundwave test with some test tones and used an oscilloscope to check.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.