Looking to get a JL Audo setup, can review my setup

cpaguy101

Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum. Quick background, had a 2001 Chevy Silverado, had put a pioneer head unit, 1 10 sub (junk $89 brand the shop sold me) focal speakers and JL audio amp. To be honest the system sounded so out of balanced and so fake. Really disappointed especially cause I thought the focal speakers were supposed to be good, but its my fault I went to a audio shop that was junk, they closed 3 weeks later and I was stuck with a system that sounded like it only had tweeters and a sloppy sub. Sold the Truck about a couple months after and now I have a 2016 Chevy Silverado. I want to keep my stock head unit cause its fine for me. I am looking at getting JT Audio C5-650X speakers, 1 10' TW3 to mount under the back seat (I found a guy on instagram that builds really nice under the seat boxes (Eminent Hi-Fi is his name), JL HD 600/4 amp and RD 500 for the sub. I was also going to get a JL Fix 82 as well. I hear the TW3 subs are great by JL for under the seat. Not really sure about the set up or speakers, they are pretty pricey, not sure if another model is better. I really want a balanced system that can be tuned to sound great, I don't need a ton of base just a system that will play all kinds of music crisp and clear. Is this a good setup? I really no not much about amps speakers, but always wanted JL Audio. Thanks!

the fix only flattens the signal, it wont get you the tuning capabilities needed to sound good. One thing you need to realize its the install and tune that makes things sound good, The equipment alone wont give any results. Need to do acoustical door treatments, proper speaker/tweeter positioning and proper time alignment/EQ/crossovers.

Sound quality is not as simple installing and amp and slapping some name brand components on there and call it good. There's WAAAAY more to making a good sounding car than your basic thinking about how things are done.

You can do much better. JL speakers are pretty sub par unless it's the C5 3 way components ran active.

The fix is a good idea but you will want the TwK as well and that will require someone that knows how to tune.

My advice. Spend less on the speakers and more on the install. Install and the tune is what makes a good system great.

You can destroy a multi thousand $ setup that's half assed with a thousand $ setup in the right hands.

I'd do NVX sub amps and speakers(raw drivers, no passive crossover because you can run active) They are clones of the very nice Hertz HDPs and the speakers are the same as $$ ARC blacks.

Focus on sound treatments. Deadener, closed cell foam, and MLV. Do it right and it will be as quiet as a rolls Royce on the highway.

Get the fix to overright the stock crap. Get the TwK to make it sound god like(in the right hands).

You want the least amount of speakers you can get away with. A pair of mids and tweeters up front and a sub.

I don't know how far of a drive it is but this is one of the top shops in the country.

Check out their Facebook page. I would make this drive if I could

SIS - Simplicity in Sound

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

the fix only flattens the signal, it wont get you the tuning capabilities needed to sound good. One thing you need to realize its the install and tune that makes things sound good, The equipment alone wont give any results. Need to do acoustical door treatments, proper speaker/tweeter positioning and proper time alignment/EQ/crossovers.
Sound quality is not as simple installing and amp and slapping some name brand components on there and call it good. There's WAAAAY more to making a good sounding car than your basic thinking about how things are done.
You beat me to it damnit

There's a shop in Ontario, OB Audio, I trust them over any other shop I've been to so far. Or I'm sure Jeff knows of other places
too much sh*t clouds around ob audio lately, i cant really recommend them. Several of my personal friends got fked over with a poor install, granted one was an advanced SQ install keeping factory OEM integration doing a 3 way active front + sub on a newer infinity car and chad has no clue on that... however the other was spl based in a mercedes and the guy's not happy at all.

Just the one I linked.
thats 6 hours away distance wise... California traffic is more like 10 hours away. Not an option.

Thanks, do you know of any good shops near orange county, CA or LA you can refer me too. Thanks for the feedback.
Check out reus systems in orange and just let them do the whole system design for you. They are in the elite class of sound quality installs and designs, best in socal by far. Just get a demo of one of their cars, (the mercedes AMG demo vehicle is nuts)

They actually figure/measure out your vehicle's entire acoustics down to your seat fabric, dash material, possible reflections and pick drivers that respond perfectly to your car environment and properly acoustically treat your car as well as proper processing and Real time analyzer tuning. Their cheapest upgrade package will 100% destroy the most expensive JL setup that you can afford installed by another shop that has no idea what they are doing but "claim they do". Dont worry they dont use junk drivers either all good SQ brands that mainly audiophiles know about.

First mistake is being on this forum. Everyone is going to suggest you need a processor, must go active, and fully deaden the whole car. Oh yeah and JL is overpriced garbage here.

Realistically - if you always wanted JL - and you have the money - go get it. They make a great product, yes it may be pricey, but you are paying for quality and something you have always wanted. JL Fix and the TwK would be a great combo for you if you want to get into tuning. At the end of the day you could probably get more for your money with others brands but that is up to you. (Besides the subs, no one is really touching JL when it comes to thin subwoofers).

In my experience (10+ years of installing now), a pretty basic set-up would be fine for you. I would go with the TW3, a 5 channel amp, some components up front (bridged off the other 4 channels) and basic co-axials in the rear. Start there and see if it is to your liking. From there you can determine if deadening or fixing the signal and tuning are worth the extra $1000+ dollars. In all honestly though - you will be happy just getting the basics done - 99% of customers are.

I would also suggest picking some tools and doing the install your self. Chevy trucks are very easy to work on and the parts are out there to make it even easier.

Thanks for the imput 727kid, I see your point on everyone's opinion and appreciate everyones imput. I just wanted to get a system that sounds good and a shop that actually knows what they are doing on the install to tune it up with the . I

too much sh*t clouds around ob audio lately, i cant really recommend them. Several of my personal friends got fked over with a poor install, granted one was an advanced SQ install keeping factory OEM integration doing a 3 way active front + sub on a newer infinity car and chad has no clue on that... however the other was spl based in a mercedes and the guy's not happy at all.
Ohhh.. well I thought they were pretty decent, then again I haven't had or heard an actual legit system in person before either.

If that Mercedes had alphards then I think I seen it on IG wondering how that happened.

Ohhh.. well I thought they were pretty decent, then again I haven't had or heard an actual legit system in person before either.

If that Mercedes had alphards then I think I seen it on IG wondering how that happened.
its from chad building him a fart box when he wanted a musical box. subs kept tearing themselves apart mechanically.

Well let me ask you, would Hertz speakers be better for me with JL HD Amps and the JL Fix and TWK. I guess I need to find someone who know how to tune it? I say on yelp an installer Audio Lab out of Laguna Hills. Looks like great reviews and hes a JL and Hertz dealer. Question would you buy everything online and take it there to be installed, better pricing?

Well let me ask you, would Hertz speakers be better for me with JL HD Amps and the JL Fix and TWK. I guess I need to find someone who know how to tune it? I say on yelp an installer Audio Lab out of Laguna Hills. Looks like great reviews and hes a JL and Hertz dealer. Question would you buy everything online and take it there to be installed, better pricing?
JLs down side is the tweeters. The C5 mids are smooth but they are all very weak tweeters. None can reach low enough to cover the upper midrange point where the mid shouldn't be playing.

The Hi-Energy and up are better then any JL set. I can't say about the C7 because it's not out yet, it looks good on paper but at that price point I won't be using JL

Most shops (that want to stay in business) will match online prices as long as they are doing the labor. I would try that route first.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.