WTB A good quality 12"

After searching and reading throughout many sites it seems that the IDQ12 D4 fits what I am after for more or less, from what I have read.

What I am looking for is a nice efficient 12" for my Suv. I prefer sealed for both sound quality and space saving.

Right now and for the past 25 years i've had Jl and kicker 10's both sealed and ported....always sounded great IMO..no problems there...But grown to like sealed.

The Jl w3's right now sound good as stated but its time to down size...Id like to have just (one) smaller box to move out of the way instead of this 100 lbs of a mess I have now.

I have chosen the search for an IDQ12 D4 because so many have praised the SQ/SQL for the price-point....

Equipment right now:

Deh-x8800BHS(running active)

SB SB17NRXC35-4 6.5

SB Acoustics SB29RDCN-C000-4(custom pods)

2 jl w3 v2 sealed (only getting 125 ish)

NVX Ja900.5

Doors sealed/deadened (sds)

I will pick up another amp if necessary....but hope that the 250ish watts that the JA has will do.

Open for suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just sell a w3 and put the other one in a sealed box...
Having tried that... it felt a bit lacking for my taste. Just looking to try something new and maybe even change brands..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Having tried that... it felt a bit lacking for my taste. Just looking to try something new and maybe even change brands..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
then you wont be any better off with the IDQ, I would consider the IDQ a lateral transfer more than an upgrade. What was lacking? output? SQ? You might just need some 12s that work better in smaller enclosures like

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss315ho-4-12-reference-ho-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-466

which you can easily run two and take up the space of just 1 sub.

it felt a bit lacking for my taste.
Then you will likely want to go with more power than 250w regardless of what single driver you end up with. Make sure it's a very capable driver with plenty of power on it, something like 800-1200w. Otherwise, you will be stuck with that feeling of "a bit lacking".

Then you will likely want to go with more power than 250w regardless of what single driver you end up with. Make sure it's a very capable driver with plenty of power on it, something like 800-1200w. Otherwise, you will be stuck with that feeling of "a bit lacking".
I agree..makes sense.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

then you wont be any better off with the IDQ, I would consider the IDQ a lateral transfer more than an upgrade. What was lacking? output? SQ? You might just need some 12s that work better in smaller enclosures like
Dayton Audio RSS315HO-4 12" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm

which you can easily run two and take up the space of just 1 sub.
I kinda dig that.

The issue I see coming is that the vast majority if modern car audio woofers are designed to perform best in ported alignment. As others have said IDQ is pretty much going to be comparable to your W3s so that's not going to likely really wow you with difference in output or sound.

Also you definitely need more power if you're feeling "not enough" or if you want to get the same output with less space (google "hoffman's iron law").

The JBL GTI series subs are very highly regarded for being good sounding and handling a fair bit of power. Would be close to the top of my list of choices if I were to get into more SQ theme woofers.

W12GTi MkII - JBL US

If you're not too proud to buy used and like the JL, the W7 can be had used for 350-ish and they're plenty capable and good sounding. Don't rule that out either if you can find them at that price point they're worth every penny IMO.

The issue I see coming is that the vast majority if modern car audio woofers are designed to perform best in ported alignment. As others have said IDQ is pretty much going to be comparable to your W3s so that's not going to likely really wow you with difference in output or sound.
Also you definitely need more power if you're feeling "not enough" or if you want to get the same output with less space (google "hoffman's iron law").

The JBL GTI series subs are very highly regarded for being good sounding and handling a fair bit of power. Would be close to the top of my list of choices if I were to get into more SQ theme woofers.

W12GTi MkII - JBL US

If you're not too proud to buy used and like the JL, the W7 can be had used for 350-ish and they're plenty capable and good sounding. Don't rule that out either if you can find them at that price point they're worth every penny IMO.
I don't mind used at all .....Took a quick look and found a few W7's here(dfw) but nothing under $500..ouch...so much for experimenting..j/k Did find a Jbl GTI MkII 12 listed though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mind used at all .....Took a quick look and found a few W7's here(dfw) but nothing under $500..ouch...so much for experimenting..j/k Did find a Jbl GTI MkII 12 listed though.
W7 local someone is going to ask too high, eBay or forums the going rate is definitely under 400 used. The Wgti JBL should be a bit less. Both might turn up on DIYMA forum in their classifieds.

Thanks for the help guy's...Basically my issues are:

1. Lack of power

2. If going for the sound of (2) w3 10's but want the space of a single 12, i'm going to need a above average 12" I.E. (W7 ish category woofer).

I have a tc9 I built. Long copper coil, single soft spider. Soft rubber surround. Motor has copper treatment. I can do$150 plus shipping.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.