Which first, Alternator or Battery?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Ok, So I just threw in a budget system in my beater rig. I've got a RF 1200D1, a RF 400x4 for my mids, and I'm running a pair of Soundquebed hd210's. I'm running 4 gauge OFC throughout, and I've I've completed 2 out of the three, of the big three,(I need to do the engine ground this weekend).

I installed everything, and now my lights are dimming pretty bad, even when highway driving. The battery gauge also trips completely off when I turn it up too loud.

1. I realize I need to address this, but I'm looking to do this cheap. If I had to do this one at a time, and cheap as possible, would you upgrade to an additional battery or a High output alternator first?

2. Any hookups that you guys know about on cheap batteries??

3. Bare minimum battery size, and alternator size I could get away with?

Thanks!

Alternator. Buy an excessive amperage or Ohio gen and they should last a lifetime... If you buy a battery they last like 5years then u have a paperweight worth $10... Think of it as an investment. Alternators hold there value pretty good

i would do battery(s) first...
Why? Batterys don't start really helping untill you get down into the 12v range.

I had two 350alts with 1 northstar in the hood on 1 8k and had the almost the same voltage drop as I do with four d3100 in the back. Alternators make power, battery's store power. And like I said a battery will cost you $$$ then dies in a few years and ur out the money... An alternator will last a lifetime and you can sell it later and get your money back. Batterys are heavy and make your car sag and MPG go down... Alternator is just a win win

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.