Help deciding between component system vs coaxial system

Participant count
  • Participant list
I recently upgraded both my Head unit (from Kenwood 1-din to Android based 2-din) and my subwoofer (from 2 10" Rockford's to 1 15" Hifonics to the current SA-15 D2) and realized than all 4 of my door speakers, while aftermarket, are at least 7 years old. I am limited to 6 1/2" speakers due to door design and requirement of speaker adaptors. My car came with factory tweeters in the pillars so I am considering going with a set of components and do it right. Thoughts? Suggested brands?

I found these JVC's on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=390941694799&alt=web Are they any good?

Edit: I also found these Precision Power 6.5s: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=121152274958&alt=web

For the most part components are always better but several manufacturers have found a way to make coaxials sound good.

IMHO you want the tweeters in front of you and not beside you, the angle of dispersion is lowest with tweeters and they (could) suffer from off-axial frequency response, mostly depends on where they are in relation to where you are but generally speaking you want the tweeters pointed directly at your head, lower frequencies are not as critical as high frequencies but correct placement and aiming will still play a key role.

For the most part components are always better but several manufacturers have found a way to make coaxials sound good.IMHO you want the tweeters in front of you and not beside you, the angle of dispersion is lowest with tweeters and they (could) suffer from off-axial frequency response, mostly depends on where they are in relation to where you are but generally speaking you want the tweeters pointed directly at your head, lower frequencies are not as critical as high frequencies but correct placement and aiming will still play a key role.
What about all the bad a$$ SQ cars with tweeters in the kick?

What about all the bad a$$ SQ cars with tweeters in the kick?
You are correct, the distance from speaker to ear is more equal with tweeters in the kick panel but they are still aimed at the listener, it is matter of preference..

I don't mount speakers in the kick panel simply because they are more prone to suffer physical damage from spilled drinks and whatnot, at least in my van..

I believe cars are a more likely candidate for tweeters in the kick panel then a van or truck and that is the reason i put my tweeters on the dash in both corners.

At the time it was ideal location for my tweeters but there is short distance from left tweeter to ear and great distance from right tweeter to ear but i am able to balance the sound however there is substantial off-axial response from right tweeter, like you i would prefer a more equalized location such as kick panels but it is what it is..

If it's any consolation the midbass are mounted in the doors and i am not happy with their location, perhaps they will find a new home in the kick panels one day..

We are in total agreement..

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.