Line-driver on prs-80

Participant count
  • Participant list

adjetta
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I currently use a line driver with a remote knob on my sub channel. It goes from the sub-out of my pioneer prs-80 to my soundqubed 2200.1 mono amp. I recently discovered that my head-unit can go up to 62 without distortion, so i decided to reset my gains accordingly. So I turned my deck up to 60, and dialed my gains to zero, upon adjusting i discovered that i have lost alot of sonic reproduction? my bass is muddy and almost seems to be clipping at times. So I assume my deck is not clipping, so is it possible that a line driver can clip a clean signal? I don't want to remove it, it helps me dial my substage back when I need to, and turn it back up when I want to get rowdy.

How do you know it's clean at 62? Because other people said so? The 80PRS is known, as most HUs, to be different from unit to unit and different on each channel even.

The clipping itself would more than likely result from you setting your amplifier gain without factoring in the line driver. Even if you gain is set all the way to the left, the voltage may be too high for the amplifier itself.

How are the other speakers in your system connected to the 80PRS? If all you did was remove a line driver from the HU to the mono amp, then I think you threw off the level balance between the Sub and the rest of the speakers.

After you reset gains, did you re-run the auto-tune process on the 80PRS?

What are your cross over points set to? Are you running the 80PRS in Network mode or Standard mode?

How are the other speakers in your system connected to the 80PRS? If all you did was remove a line driver from the HU to the mono amp, then I think you threw off the level balance between the Sub and the rest of the speakers.
After you reset gains, did you re-run the auto-tune process on the 80PRS?

What are your cross over points set to? Are you running the 80PRS in Network mode or Standard mode?
I am running in standard and speakers are on passive xovers, my high passes are at 100hz in front, and 80hz in rear, and my low pass is at 80 hz, I don't use auto-tune at the moment, I keep it flat.

I never removed the line driver, I just reset the gains. I was tuning with my deck at 44 volume, but I reset my gains with the deck on 60. Seemingly now my sub doesn't want to get loud unless the line driver is cranked, but it's really muddy regardless of line driver setting.

my whole thing is just because it goes that high doesn't mean you have to, if it sounded good before why mess with it, just my thoughts.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.