Run new speaker wire?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Syphlyn

Canada
Hey guys I'm installing my new system this fall (see sig) and some thoughts crossed my mind. And no I'm not changing anything except my sub stage.

I drive a 2000 F150 and installed an aftermarket 4 channel amp (PDX-F4) that does 100w @ 4 ohms per channel. I ran 16 guage speaker wire from the amp to the factory wires behind the HU and soldered them together. Been like that for 1.5 years.

Is it fine to keep it like that or should I be running new 16 gauge wire from behind the HU to all the speakers? Running all new wiring between/through the doors sounds like a huge job.

Am I currently unsafe with the way it is now?

Hey guys I'm installing my new system this fall (see sig) and some thoughts crossed my mind. And no I'm not changing anything except my sub stage.
I drive a 2000 F150 and installed an aftermarket 4 channel amp (PDX-F4) that does 100w @ 4 ohms per channel. I ran 16 guage speaker wire from the amp to the factory wires behind the HU and soldered them together. Been like that for 1.5 years.

Is it fine to keep it like that or should I be running new 16 gauge wire from behind the HU to all the speakers? Running all new wiring between/through the doors sounds like a huge job.

Am I currently unsafe with the way it is now?
Nah ur fine let it be unless a problem arises

Nah ur fine let it be unless a problem arises
Yeah I'll still take more input as advice varies but I do agree with you as in I've had no problem so I doubt any will arise. Not to mention when I sell my truck in the next 2-4 years all the factory wiring is there and just makes for a better sale/easy removal of the amp, even though it'd be easy to label the new wiring. The whole running it properly though the door boots sounds like a ****** time.

Yeah I'll still take more input as advice varies but I do agree with you as in I've had no problem so I doubt any will arise. Not to mention when I sell my truck in the next 2-4 years all the factory wiring is there and just makes for a better sale/easy removal of the amp, even though it'd be easy to label the new wiring. The whole running it properly though the door boots sounds like a ****** time.
Yea i had to do it to bypass the crappy bose in the impala..pain in the asss

I have a same gen f150 as you. I bought a $4 fishtape from harbor freight, took less than 20 minutes to do my front doors //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I would run the 16 gauge throughout, but if its working then I don't see why you should. I am about to run 14 gauge throughout my front doors for my speakers rather than splice in. Factory wires are too small for my tastes.

I have done it that on a few different installs of mine and never had any issues. The most power I ran on the factory speaker wire was 75w per channel though, so not sure if the 100w of yours would be pushing it or not. I think you would be okay to leave it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.