How do I replace an already mounted AMP?

Participant count
  • Participant list

goodmusic

Fla
I already have my old amp mounted, but I have a new one i need to mount. How do I replace my old one without frying myself or my car electrical components?

I would appreciate a step by step

example : remove rca, remove power, remove ground, remove amp wire, unmount

mount new amp, put ground, put power, put rca, put amp wire

^^ example ^^

I dont wanna fry myself of anything on the car so I just wanna do it step by step and make the transfer from amp to amp. thank you

Make sure the gauge of the power cable you are running is appropriate for the new amp you are planning to use. For example if are going from a 400 watt amp, to a 1500 watt amplifier, you may need to upgrade wire and/or increase your electrical support. Also make sure the speaker load is equally appropriate for the new amp you are going to use. Do these following steps of you are simply swapping for a similar power/type of amplifier.

Remove negative connection to battery! To be safe I would remove the main fuse in the power wire after that. Then remove RCA s, remove speaker wires, remove ground cable to amp, remove remote wire, and remove positive power cable. Un mount amplifier, mount new amplifier, connect positive power cable, connect remote wire, connect ground cable, connect speaker wires (again assuming same ohm load), and connect RCAs. Adjust gain knob and crossovers to the appropriate levels to ensure clean signal processing. Reinstall main power fuse and recheck all connections for stray copper or anything that doesn't look like a solid, clean connection. One you're 100% sure everything checks out reconnect the main ground to your battery and fire her up.

If you have any doubts that you can easily perform any of those steps have somebody that knows what they're doing show you how.

What are you powering?

But yes. Firstly you always disconnect the negative wire on the battery. If you want to be extra safe you can also disconnect the positive OR disconnect at the fuse holder as well. Then remove all the connections on the amp.

What are you powering?
But yes. Firstly you always disconnect the negative wire on the battery. If you want to be extra safe you can also disconnect the positive OR disconnect at the fuse holder as well. Then remove all the connections on the amp.
This is what is currently connected :

Audio Savings | Formula MACH5175 1000 Watt Peak 350 Watt RMS 2 Channel Car Audio Amplifier Amp

This is the new one im mounting :

Audiobahn A8002T 2-channel car amplifier 200 watts RMS x 2 at Crutchfield.com

the specs are in the URLs ^^ everything should be fine correct?

What subs/speakers though?
Two of these:

2z5u7mc.jpg

Oh yea! That combination will be a perfect match for one another!
Yes thats why i want to replace it already. I just didnt want to fry myself lol or my car

I might do it tmrw. When you say disconnect the fuse holder, what do you mean?

Make sure the gauge of the power cable you are running is appropriate for the new amp you are planning to use. For example if are going from a 400 watt amp, to a 1500 watt amplifier, you may need to upgrade wire and/or increase your electrical support. Also make sure the speaker load is equally appropriate for the new amp you are going to use. Do these following steps of you are simply swapping for a similar power/type of amplifier.
Remove negative connection to battery! To be safe I would remove the main fuse in the power wire after that. Then remove RCA s, remove speaker wires, remove ground cable to amp, remove remote wire, and remove positive power cable. Un mount amplifier, mount new amplifier, connect positive power cable, connect remote wire, connect ground cable, connect speaker wires (again assuming same ohm load), and connect RCAs. Adjust gain knob and crossovers to the appropriate levels to ensure clean signal processing. Reinstall main power fuse and recheck all connections for stray copper or anything that doesn't look like a solid, clean connection. One you're 100% sure everything checks out reconnect the main ground to your battery and fire her up.

If you have any doubts that you can easily perform any of those steps have somebody that knows what they're doing show you how.
Ok will do

Yes thats why i want to replace it already. I just didnt want to fry myself lol or my car
I might do it tmrw. When you say disconnect the fuse holder, what do you mean?
The power wire that goes to the amp is connected to the battery's positive terminal. There should be a fuse/fuse holder about a foot from the battery on that wire. You could also disconnect the power wire from this fuse holder in addition to the disconnecting the battery's negative terminal.

However, disconnecting the Battery's negative terminal should be all you need to do.

The power wire that goes to the amp is connected to the battery's positive terminal. There should be a fuse/fuse holder about a foot from the battery on that wire. You could also disconnect the power wire from this fuse holder in addition to the disconnecting the battery's negative terminal.
However, disconnecting the Battery's negative terminal should be all you need to do.
Ok Ill just disconnect the negative terminal. Also, do I pull the fuses outta my audiobahn before I put the power wire on? Or can i just do the whole swap with them already in?

Ok Ill just disconnect the negative terminal. Also, do I pull the fuses outta my audiobahn before I put the power wire on? Or can i just do the whole swap with them already in?
There should be no need to. The new amp should have its fuses already in place. Should just be able to disconnect the battery. Unplug everything from the amp and dismount it. Then mount and plug in the new amp. Reconnect battery and you should be good to go.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.