Mono amp suggestion to drive single Polk MM 10"?

redline9k

Updating a 2013 Audi A4 and first step is a sub. Im going to move an Audio Control LC6i and the 10" MM over from the old car, but my old amp was a 6ch so ill need a new mono amp.

What would you guys recommend? It will be a sealed box, nothing ridiculous, just clean and middle of the road quality (Alpine, JL, etc).

its the single vc...mm1040 (*printed* 350RMS).

Hm, maybe no mono for me?....man ive been out of this for too long. Anyway, ok, how about a good quality 2/4ch bridgeable amp dedicated to sub use for now? Im good up to about 4-500 bucks for the amp not including wiring etc (glad to spend less if i dont have to)

the JBL looks pretty good to me. FWIW, ive had that MM1040 and LC6i for awhile now....should I consider upgrading or are they still at least better-than-average by current standards?

FYI to the original poster, mono subwoofer amplifiers are commonly class D, which is far more efficient than class AB 2 or 4 channel designs. That means less heat dissipation, less current draw and more power for the dollar, since class D designs are cheaper to manufacture than class AB. Class D topologies are harder to get clean at higher frequencies, but low frequencies are easier to make happen.

Suggested; acquire a simple 2 + 1 mono amp like the Massive Audio NX3, where you get a compact 2 channel stereo amplifier and a single subwoofer channel all in the same chassis. I believe several of the board sponsors sell this, or similar amplifiers at around $200. There's no reason to get anywhere near $400.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.