Deal between Spooney and trenton

Spooney
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Well I very recently bought an amp from trenton. Amp in question is a MMATS D50HC being sold as blown. The amp is described as missing some fets and resistors but repairable . Claims he bought it off of ebay a couple months ago in this condition. Check the for sale thread out here :

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-classifieds/591821-blown-mmats-d50hc.html

If you read into the thread you can see where I asked if the amp had all the screws for the heatsink and fets and trenton replied with " I have all of the screws for the board to heatsink an most screws to the mosfets but washers were cracked . Other than that they are just Allen heads you can get at home depot"

Ok no big deal right? I need to replace some fets and resistors and buy a few screws according to what the seller is telling me.

So the amp shows up today and upon closer inspection the amp is missing way more parts than were described. Not only is it missing fets and resistors it is missing capacitors, a hard to find multi turn potentiometer , thermistor for the thermal protection circuit (also hard to find), the nuts and insulators for the rca jacks, knob for the gain/crossover control, etc. Definitely more missing than was stated and also I only received about half of the heatsink screws when he says right in the thread he has them.

In addition to this the board has been all but destroyed by a previous repair attempt. Many of the solder pads are badly damaged or missing altogether. Also somebody has attempted to remove the transformer and left it unsoldered which was not mentioned.

Here are pics of the amp as I received it today:

(Pay close attention to these)

Make note of the number engraved on the bottom of the amp in the upper right hand corner of the pic above.

A few badly damaged/missing solder pads seen here. Notice these blue capacitors here too.

So the amp isn't what I expected at all and I contact trenton and he seems ready to help but there is a problem. I start scanning his previous post and I find that this amp has been for sale before IN WORKING CONDITION. No big deal except for the fact that he told me he bought the amp blown from ebay and sold it to me in the condition he received it. Seems kinda sketchy. Why would you lie about that unless there was something to hide?

Here are a couple for sale threads for this same amp that I found here and on caco ( Caco name is insaneNmembrane):

Caco thread 7/04/13: FS:Mmats d50hc modded 1800rms (in protect) - Car Audio Classifieds

Notice here at first he says it is in protect and then later in the thread its working fine. Notice in the pics the blue caps just like the amp I have here(this is not typical for mmats amps) and the messy gray insulator tape under the middle row of fets towards the bottom of the pic. HMMM that looks very similar to the amp I have here that was allegedly bought from ebay and sold to me in the same condition as he received it. Apparently working fine here. Notice the third pic where you can see his username from here in the pic ( goes to show its the same guy) . Also notice on the upper right hand corner of the heatsink in that pic there is a number engraved into the bottom lip of the heatsink. This number coincides with the amp I have here. So same caps, same gray insulator tape, and same number engraved into the heatsink. And oh yeah notice how all the parts are in this amp here .

Ca.com thread 7/08/13 : http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-classifieds/582066-mmats-d50hc-modded-1800-rms.html

Selling the amp as working here . Again you can see in the pics the blue caps and the gray insulator tape under those fets. Can't see the number engraved into the heatsink as his username is covering it. So again the amp that he says he bought in the condition he sold it to me in is shown here complete and working.

Ca.com thread 9/10/13: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-classifieds/591407-oldschool-amps-some-parts-others-work-priced-sell.html

Here the amp is being sold as blown. Says a buddy took a shot at repairing it. It is in the exact condition I received it in. Notice all the missing parts. Notice the blue caps, the gray insulator tape, and the number engraved into the bottom lip of the heatsink.

Ok so here is my big gripe. I understand the amp was blown. It did not however arrive to me in the condition trenton stated it was in. Not only that trenton lied to me about how he acquired the amp. Maybe he bought it from ebay but it was working or at least had all the parts at one point. Why would he lie and tell me he received it in just as I did ? He told me it was in the same state that I received it in when he acquired it which is obviously a lie. Is he trying to cover something up? Something tells me he knows this amp is not repairable yet he still sold it as such. I have text messages from him I can post where he tries to convince me that this is not the same amp even though the pics tell a different story. Another sketchy move. You know its the same amp. Why try to convince me otherwise?

I will say that he did make several offers to attempt to make this right one of which was another blown amp. At this point I can't feel comfortable with any equipment I get from him.

Just want to put it out there that I have filed a paypal dispute. I informed trenton last night that I did not want anything from him other than a refund.

Not trying to be a dbag but why didnt you get gut pics before purchase?
I did get gut pics. They are still in the thread if anyone cares to look. They weren't good quality enough to see the extent of the damage and me being a trusting person took his word that it was only missing what he stated. He knew or at least claimed that it was working at one point which can be seen if you check out the threads I posted however when it was listed this time he says he bought it off of ebay in the condition it is now in which is a lie. I haven't even pulled the board to see how bad the bottom is and I really don't care to. It didn't arrive in the condition it was stated to be in.

Bad break, man. Is it even worth the cost of repair to keep it?
In my opinion it isn't . Somebody replaced all of the power supply and output fets but swapped their locations. So ps fets in the output section and output fets in the power supply and the output driver IC was installed backwards in its socket. No telling how much damage was done there. The only guaranteed fix in my eyes is if I sent it to MMATS and thats a 225 dollar repair with no warranty due to the amps age. I can get a working version of this same amp for about the same price.

In my opinion it isn't . Somebody replaced all of the power supply and output fets but swapped their locations. So ps fets in the output section and output fets in the power supply and the output driver IC was installed backwards in its socket. No telling how much damage was done there. The only guaranteed fix in my eyes is if I sent it to MMATS and thats a 225 dollar repair with no warranty due to the amps age. I can get a working version of this same amp for about the same price.
Sorry to hear it, man. If you want a pair of Sony ES 2-channels to tithe you over, PM me and we can work something out. These I can assure are in great working order.

Sorry to hear it, man. If you want a pair of Sony ES 2-channels to tithe you over, PM me and we can work something out. These I can assure are in great working order.
I appreciate that man but its really not necessary. I have other stuff. Just was hoping to get another MMATS amp going. This one is a little too far gone though I think.

I appreciate that man but its really not necessary. I have other stuff. Just was hoping to get another MMATS amp going. This one is a little too far gone though I think.
Not a problem. And, yeah, a LOT of issues on that board.

[quote name='Spooney']I appreciate that man but its really not necessary. I have other stuff. Just was hoping to get another MMATS amp going. This one is a little too far gone though I think.[/QUOTE]
@Spooney ; dam sorry to see this.You're one of the best dudes on this forum.This wont go unnoticed at all. @trenton ; Just do the refund and save some face.At least show you're honest in some way.Maybe people would still deal with you.If not,you may as well delete your account and move on.Hope this gets worked out guys.

I didn't denie that it wasnt the same amp. I had a bulk amount of these amps an explained that to you

I didn't say I wouldn't refund you I was just trying to see if we could settle something by willing to send you a working or non working amp an you just keeping the mmats instead of going through the trouble to ship back

Otherwise I will refund your money

This is the only sale I've ever had that went wrong

All I can really do is be sorry an give your either your money back or work out another deal

I've sold to many on here without issues

I sold the amp for 60 because it was a parts amps sorry it was taken another way

Spooney il have the 60 sent back to you by Thursday afternoon ok

I didn't denie that it wasnt the same amp. I had a bulk amount of these amps an explained that to you I didn't say I wouldn't refund you I was just trying to see if we could settle something by willing to send you a working or non working amp an you just keeping the mmats instead of going through the trouble to ship back

Otherwise I will refund your money

This is the only sale I've ever had that went wrong

All I can really do is be sorry an give your either your money back or work out another deal

I've sold to many on here without issues

I sold the amp for 60 because it was a parts amps sorry it was taken another way

Spooney il have the 60 sent back to you by Thursday afternoon ok

At any rate I am not here to argue about it. The amp did not arrive as stated and was missing things you said were there. As soon as I see that money back I will have this thing back on its way to you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Spooney

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
Spooney
Charlotte,MI,USA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies