can a sub ever blow off a good signal?

EpicMango
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Colorado
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm talking like....EVER.....

good signal + good sub = forever?

Or do the soft parts eventually just give away?

I'm wondering because my OA15 is going just as strong as the day I got it off an ASPM-1500, and I can sometimes tell that I am reaching the limits of the sub, yet with over a year on it, it still pounds like a boss..I'm wonderingi if it can go ANOTHER year...

overtime the spiders lose strength. it'll take years, depends on its usage, but as long as you keep the subwoofer within its rms range it'll be fine, most subs can take way over its rms, but not for very long portions of time, for example, i can burp 2.2k on my 08 fi ssd which is rated at 800 rms. but thats a clean signal and the subwoofer gets warm to the touch after a few times.

Where do you have the gains set on your APSM? I wouldn't exactly consider that clean power...

But like it's been said, most subs can take quite a bit more power than they're rated for if the power is totally clean. However, even with a clean signal, you're probably not going to be able to throw 2500w daily at a 600w driver. It's all about the subwoofer's mechanical and thermal limits - if the sub is pushed too hard, it can start leaving it's gap or bottoming out, potentially damaging the subwoofer. After a while, all of that power causes heat, which will eventually cause deterioration of some soft parts after long periods of time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.