O' Reilys visit

darron016
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I went there yesterday to get a multimeter since everyone suggests I get one. Im new to car audio so I went him to get a multimeter that measures RMS so I could properly tune my amp to my subs. He shows me his meters, none of them have a RMS indicator, he said that it is crazy to measure ur amps RMS with a MM. He said I should just go off ear tests since I should know what a good amp sounds like. He than said he has an amp that puts out 5000RMS for his 1 15'' sub.

Is this guy right? Do i not need a DMM? And do they make amps that powerful?

Honestly I felt like he had no idea what he was talking about so I left the store empty handed and don't know what to tune my amp too .. HELP!

You can use the MM to make your amp put out the right rms for your sub. The equation is slipping my mind at the moment but that's how I do it. And yes they do make amps that powerful but it won't push that unless it is a good brand and he has a lot or upgrades like a H/O alternator, a nice battery bank full of high amp hour deep cycle batteries, and 0 gauge wire.

I went there yesterday to get a multimeter since everyone suggests I get one. Im new to car audio so I went him to get a multimeter that measures RMS so I could properly tune my amp to my subs. He shows me his meters, none of them have a RMS indicator, he said that it is crazy to measure ur amps RMS with a MM. He said I should just go off ear tests since I should know what a good amp sounds like. He than said he has an amp that puts out 5000RMS for his 1 15'' sub.

Honestly I felt like he had no idea what he was talking about so I left the store empty handed and don't know what to tune my amp too .. HELP!
Look at a bare minimum you can use a multimeter to help you determine the upper limits where you gains can be set.

Many people swear by setting gains by ear, which is fine as long as your careful and know when your approaching the limits of your equipment (dmm does that).

But you can also use the DMM to set the left and right output from the amp to the same value, which can be tricky to do by ear if you have a 4 channel amp.

It's a very useful tool for all sorts of troubleshooting as well. Testing speakers and woofers, measuring your batteries resting voltage, testing grounds, etc., etc., etc....

A simple multimeter from Oriellys or anywhere else for that matter cannot measure RMS. It's not that easy, RMS is more of a math equation than just one clear number. You will need a nice fluke clamp + multimeter to get a true RMS and you will need to drop a few hundred to get a nice one (300-500)

You can get multimeters at home depot, menards anywhere for pretty cheap. Or online too. They are great to have to measure voltage and ohms but thats about it.

and yes, 5000rms amps ARE possible but rare, and unless he knows whats up hes probly lying but he could be telling the truth too.

Also.. I wanna see AP ****** snap on the packers this weekend.

The first 2 replies, thanks for nothing, I have been doing nothing but searching this website to learn all I can since im alone in setting up my system.

I really messed up. I bought a bandpass box with 2 subs off craigslist, come to find out that one is blown, had to open the box and make the holes bigger and buy 2 new more subs and try to fit the glass back on witch took me all of 3 weeks. Blew 2 amps in the process, now from reading more on this site. IDK if my box is even tuned for my new subs, nobody told me I needed to do this. I just didn't know so much went into having a system. I thought I could do all this in a couple days.

My amp says 0Db or 18Db. I really need some help on what i should set it too

0 or 18?

20 hz 60 hz or 200 hz ?

LPF OR HPF

How much gain?

I have ot subs at 2ohm and 300 rms @ 2 ohms.. Can I get any advice please?

The first 2 replies, thanks for nothing, I have been doing nothing but searching this website to learn all I can since im alone in setting up my system.
I really messed up. I bought a bandpass box with 2 subs off craigslist, come to find out that one is blown, had to open the box and make the holes bigger and buy 2 new more subs and try to fit the glass back on witch took me all of 3 weeks. Blew 2 amps in the process, now from reading more on this site. IDK if my box is even tuned for my new subs, nobody told me I needed to do this. I just didn't know so much went into having a system. I thought I could do all this in a couple days.

My amp says 0Db or 18Db. I really need some help on what i should set it too

0 or 18?

20 hz 60 hz or 200 hz ?

LPF OR HPF

How much gain?

I have ot subs at 2ohm and 300 rms @ 2 ohms.. Can I get any advice please?
What size are your subs? I have multiple good boxes, ported and sealed

First off you bought a box and then cut it to make it bigger for 2 other subs, so yes its most definitely not built for those subs.

For the amp 80hz, LPF for Low Pass Filter, gain will depend on electrical....don't crank it max....

What size are your subs? I have multiple good boxes, ported and sealed
They are 12's 30 cm ,

Im thinking all 12's subs are the same size (hence 12') but these mofos were way too big for the holes. I drilled them down, but some of the screws wont go all the way down. The magnets are not rubbing on the box or anything. I used a rasp to open up the holes. They feel pretty tight, but the glass wont fit all the way in the spot even with the drills in it. But I don't think this will effect the bass since it is ported right now, and the glass really isn't doing much since I don't have the subs sealed.. At least that is what I think, am I right?

I got to look on the paper for the exacts measurements on the subs

First off you bought a box and then cut it to make it bigger for 2 other subs, so yes its most definitely not built for those subs.
For the amp 80hz, LPF for Low Pass Filter, gain will depend on electrical....don't crank it max....
Thanks for the response !!

Yes I sadly found out the subs are not made for the box.

The magnets probably go down 3/4 or 4/5 of the way down. Technically they fit since I made the holes bigger. But Im sure the box isn't the right size..

Will this effect the sounds? I have put 3 weeks into making the holes bigger/ buying the right tools etc and if the box isn't right and I end up needing a new one that is going to set me very far back (time wise and money)

They are 12's 30 cm , Im thinking all 12's subs are the same size (hence 12') but these mofos were way too big for the holes. I drilled them down, but some of the screws wont go all the way down. The magnets are not rubbing on the box or anything. I used a rasp to open up the holes. They feel pretty tight, but the glass wont fit all the way in the spot even with the drills in it. But I don't think this will effect the bass since it is ported right now, and the glass really isn't doing much since I don't have the subs sealed.. At least that is what I think, am I right?

I got to look on the paper for the exacts measurements on the subs
Did you see my first post also about the RMS clamp? You may have skipped it

What subs are they, either way, I would trash the box and start with a solid one. Its the main part of a sub stage

Rule one for making a good audio set-up is don't get in a hurry, ever.

When you say the "glass" what do you mean? I'm assuming it's one of the crappy "bandpass" boxes that has the plexiglass front, those are the pinnacle of ****** boxes because a bandpass enclosure basically has to be made to fit the exact sub that goes in it. I'd suggest reading a lot on the forum and then attempting to build a good ported box or having a box built by someone like Starr Mountain Sounds or Pro-rabbit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

darron016

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
darron016
minneapolis, mn
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date