O' Reilys visit

A simple multimeter from Oriellys or anywhere else for that matter cannot measure RMS. It's not that easy, RMS is more of a math equation than just one clear number. You will need a nice fluke clamp + multimeter to get a true RMS and you will need to drop a few hundred to get a nice one (300-500)
You can get multimeters at home depot, menards anywhere for pretty cheap. Or online too. They are great to have to measure voltage and ohms but thats about it.

and yes, 5000rms amps ARE possible but rare, and unless he knows whats up hes probly lying but he could be telling the truth too.

Also.. I wanna see AP ****** snap on the packers this weekend.
Nope just seen this post now , yes I cannot wait for AP to run WILD.

Man , I didn't know this was so money consuming !

Did you see my first post also about the RMS clamp? You may have skipped it
What subs are they, either way, I would trash the box and start with a solid one. Its the main part of a sub stage
**** I'm in this box like 100$ They are kickers 12 from walmart lol

The box came with 2 old kenwood W3000 KFC single voice coil, witch I sold the working 1 at a pawn shop for 10$ because he said that's all their worth. Was that a rip off?

Thanks for the response !!
Yes I sadly found out the subs are not made for the box.

The magnets probably go down 3/4 or 4/5 of the way down. Technically they fit since I made the holes bigger. But Im sure the box isn't the right size..

Will this effect the sounds? I have put 3 weeks into making the holes bigger/ buying the right tools etc and if the box isn't right and I end up needing a new one that is going to set me very far back (time wise and money)
As others have asked, what brand and model sub. You're better off trashing that crappass box, they blow. The size of the box will effect how they sound, just as not having a seal where its needed...the bandpass glass...will effect your "ported" box. Its junk at the moment and you are not going to like it.

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 PM ----------

Any pawn shop you sell to is a rip off

Rule one for making a good audio set-up is don't get in a hurry, ever.
When you say the "glass" what do you mean? I'm assuming it's one of the crappy "bandpass" boxes that has the plexiglass front, those are the pinnacle of ****** boxes because a bandpass enclosure basically has to be made to fit the exact sub that goes in it. I'd suggest reading a lot on the forum and then attempting to build a good ported box or having a box built by someone like Starr Mountain Sounds or Pro-rabbit.
Yes it is bandpass flexiglass, it weighs over 100 lbs IDK if that is normal or whatever. I just want a ported box because I heard that is better for the kind of music I listen to (rap)View attachment 26538830 View attachment 26538831

As others have asked, what brand and model sub. You're better off trashing that crappass box, they blow. The size of the box will effect how they sound, just as not having a seal where its needed...the bandpass glass...will effect your "ported" box. Its junk at the moment and you are not going to like it. 

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 PM ----------

Any pawn shop you sell to is a rip off
Yes I answered the sub question in the post above yours. I will have someone custom make my box, should I have it sealed or ported for rap music?

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

What do you guys base this off? i know you know more than me about car audio. But what from that picture tells you that is complete crap? Out of curiosity

Yes I answered the sub question in the post above yours. I will have someone custom make my box, should I have it sealed or ported for rap music?
Ported will most likely be louder but sealed will sound better. Buy a good sub that does both and have someone build you a box from here. There are plenty of both on this site.

Nope just seen this post now , yes I cannot wait for AP to run WILD. Man , I didn't know this was so money consuming !

**** I'm in this box like 100$ They are kickers 12 from walmart lol

The box came with 2 old kenwood W3000 KFC single voice coil, witch I sold the working 1 at a pawn shop for 10$ because he said that's all their worth. Was that a rip off?
Its all good though.. I didnt ever buy a RMS clamp and I've had probly 10 different expensive amps in the past 10 years.. Its not necessary , I know how to set my gains by ear pretty much. To get a true rms reading you need a clamp, but I never really cared. I know I'm not clipping the signal and I am good to go. Never blown a sub or amp (ive had broken subs but not my fault)

Too bad you bought your products first and then asked us later, because I could have found you better equipment in mpls for cheaper than what you paid

Your box definately needs to be replaced though

Its all good though.. I didnt ever buy a RMS clamp and I've had probly 10 different expensive amps in the past 10 years.. Its not necessary , I know how to set my gains by ear pretty much. To get a true rms reading you need a clamp, but I never really cared. I know I'm not clipping the signal and I am good to go. Never blown a sub or amp (ive had broken subs but not my fault)
Too bad you bought your products first and then asked us later, because I could have found you better equipment in mpls for cheaper than what you paid

Your box definately needs to be replaced though
Do you live around MNPLS? My parents live there , Im going to college in st cloud right now. But yeah, too late now, I bought all this stuff and are now having problems I think im going to sell the box than on craiglist hope someone will buy it, even though i did damage to the holes.

Do you live around MNPLS? My parents live there , Im going to college in st cloud right now. But yeah, too late now, I bought all this stuff and are now having problems I think im going to sell the box than on craiglist hope someone will buy it, even though i did damage to the holes.
don't worry man, toss that sht on CL and some bloke will hit you up for it.

then start fresh and do it right

I went there yesterday to get a multimeter since everyone suggests I get one. Im new to car audio so I went him to get a multimeter that measures RMS so I could properly tune my amp to my subs. He shows me his meters, none of them have a RMS indicator, he said that it is crazy to measure ur amps RMS with a MM. He said I should just go off ear tests since I should know what a good amp sounds like. He than said he has an amp that puts out 5000RMS for his 1 15'' sub.
Is this guy right? Do i not need a DMM? And do they make amps that powerful?

Honestly I felt like he had no idea what he was talking about so I left the store empty handed and don't know what to tune my amp too .. HELP!
A DMM doesnt measure RMS output. You need a clamp meter to do that. A DMM measures voltage at a specific frequency.

Im willing to bet the OReillys guys 5000wrms amp has a fusing of 150a or less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this was answered or not, but with the bandpass box does the glass need to be sealed when the box is ported? Because my friends box is just regular ported and has nother above the subs sealing them etc.

This website has a calculator for all the figuring ya'll need. and explains all the steps you need to take. Wattage

You can download look around the net or bit torrent and find the 0db 50hz test tone you need and burn your own CD

From the sounds of it, you aren't that experienced in setting up a system and while you can set it by ear. You will be safer using a MM.

If you have a way to do the wood working you can give the specs of the room availible and your subs, the box builders can email the blueprints for a custom box for much cheaper. I have seen in the $25-35 range. Go to home depot and get the MDF yourself. It is a fair bit cheaper.

Not sure if this was answered or not, but with the bandpass box does the glass need to be sealed when the box is ported? Because my friends box is just regular ported and has nother above the subs sealing them etc.
Basically a Bandpass is a combination of sealed and ported in the same enclosure, There is a sealed section and a ported section, you could probably ditch the glass and it would play just fine like a normal ported box, but still not built to sub specs, and nowhere near optimal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

darron016

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
darron016
minneapolis, mn
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date