2007-2012 Toyota Tundra Big 3 Log

Participant count
  • Participant list

drockstar
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Since I searched on this forum and did not find it, here's a how-to for the 2007-2012 Toyota Tundra Big 3.

Note* My truck is a 4x4 so the pics may be a little different than yours. Also, my tundra has the front sway-bar removed.

Tools used:

10mm, 12mm sockets and ratchet, wire cutters

66" Battery to alternator cable

35" Battery to chassis cable

15" Block to chassis cable

Few zip ties

Here ya go:

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Thanks for viewing, I hope it helps.

overall, good job. a few comments.

1. when you sand away paint in an engine bay you will get rust there. it is best to mask off an area the size of the wire terminal to minimize unpainted area. then use an electrical connection grease or silicone to cover the connection area so you don't get rust.

2. split loom will help add protection to the wires while also maintaining an OEM look. i loom every wire in an engine bay.

3. the alt positive wire is not fused in your install. note that is a hazard since the alt positive terminal is unprotected. if one metal tool/wrench touches that terminal by accident, the battery will see a short (with very little resistance) which can lead to the battery quickly rupturing. at a minimum, you should get an insulated cover for the alt positive terminal and connector.

Thanks. I'll go back and add the loom and grease. As for number 3, I put the protective cap back on and even zip tied it in place. Since the factory wire wasn't fused I didn't opt to do it but I almost did. I have an extra block, you think I should add one even though the alternator nut is not exposed?

i fused my alt to batt positive. better safe than sorry. i don't want battery acid in my engine bay. i know i will be safe but i can't say that for a mechanic at my dealership. even still, i've dropped a wrench or socket before and been glad i didn't have exposed positive terminals.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.