frontstage amp tuning

dafobbishon3
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Texas
all right well i noticed that the guys that installed my amp just tuned my whole cerwin vega all wrong. plus i even hear hissing through my tweeters. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif they maxed out the gain. and for the dB knob which is from 0-12 they maxed that out as well and for the xover hz 50-250 they tuned it to 3/4 over. (i know i know, i shouldve just installed it myself, people who install at dealerships don't really know squat, just loudness. LOL.)

i was wondering if any one knows how to correctly tune my amp? please and thank you.

1) turn amp gains all the way down, you shouldn't much sound coming from your speakers

2) if you have bass boost or any hP filter on it turn it off,

3) make sure your head unit is xover @ 80 to 100hz

4) now turn your volume up on your deck about 75%, you should hear some music coming from your speakers now.

4) on you amp you should slowly turn up your gains any where from 1/4,1/3,maybe 1/2 of the way until you dont hear any more hissing

you amp only puts out 60watts per channel @ 4ohms, It's 100.4 @ 2ohms .

your speakers are 125 rms. you are under powering them.

you can go to cerwin vega web page to find out the watts per ohms.

you dont nneed that DB knob, make sure you turn your loudness off as well.

Some of the guys @ shops know there ****,but not all,

remember i told you to watch them with your gear they dont care.

you with patience with car audio, it takes time to learn, so dont panic.

i actually turned the gain about 4/5 of the way, and theres still no hissing. but if i go any further, theres hissing. does that mean its still good? or does that mean the speakers are busted cause theyve been on max gain for a while? lol

so i should turn down the db bass boost too. what about the xover hz thats from 50-250. where should that be around. 100 as well as the deck?

1) turn amp gains all the way down, you shouldn't much sound coming from your speakers2) if you have bass boost or any hP filter on it turn it off,

3) make sure your head unit is xover @ 80 to 100hz

4) now turn your volume up on your deck about 75%, you should hear some music coming from your speakers now.

4) on you amp you should slowly turn up your gains any where from 1/4,1/3,maybe 1/2 of the way until you dont hear any more hissing

you amp only puts out 60watts per channel @ 4ohms, It's 100.4 @ 2ohms .

your speakers are 125 rms. you are under powering them.

you can go to cerwin vega web page to find out the watts per ohms.

you dont nneed that DB knob, make sure you turn your loudness off as well.

Some of the guys @ shops know there ****,but not all,

remember i told you to watch them with your gear they dont care.

you with patience with car audio, it takes time to learn, so dont panic.

hey okie, i just realized that my speakers are actually bridged and the amp runs 200 bridged. but i TUNED the amp finally to where theres no distortion at a high volume, and i was really pissed cause it can only go about 1/4 and it sounds like stock speakers, it's not loud at all. :[ i don't hear a difference for them compared to my factory speakers. :[ why is that? is it already damaged??

or should i just tune it up and keep the hissing and the static goin? i hear the hissing through the tweeters but i don't hear much distortion. unless hissing = distortion. :[ i don't wanna buy another amp. its supposed to be pushing 200 watt isn't it? its bridged. :[ but it over heats when the gain is maxed out but it doesnt overheat when its at 3/4

hey Dafobbishon3 sorry for not responding i wasn't online yesterday.

NO your speakers are not damaged

your comps shouldn't shound like stock speakers, you may need to adjust the adjustment switch on the xover to your liking, yes you'll need to take off your door panel a find your passive xover, take off the cover & you should see an adjustable switch that will be +2;,0:,-1:.

you will need to find out which sounds better your ears.

don't turn your gains up keep them where they are. after you adjust your tweeter i bet it will sound a little louder. +2 is more thur -1 is less.

i think you will need to deaden your doors as well, your mids will sound so much better.

your comps are rated from 125rms to 250 max.

what that means is you'll need more of 125rms to make them sound the way they are suppose to sound & UP TO 250max to get them rocking, with the right xover adjustments.

have you thought about useing your cerwin vega for your sub & your arc for you highs?

your arc is 180rms 4ohms per side, plus i think it's a cleaner & more power for Hertz's?????

I know it's a lot of work to change everything around but it maybe worth trying it out.

I'm not sure how many watts your cerwin vega would push out in mono, but it's only 60.4 into 4ohms & 100.4 into 2ohms-OHMS does make difference.plus i went to cerwin vega web site & was looking for the volts,like 12-14.4volts from your charging system =your atl & battery= to see if you would get more watts.they don't list much info about there amps.

what is your sub rms??

if it's around 500watts i think that cerwin vega would work great for sub duty.

(mobile audio0

EXL Series 400.4

4 Channel Mobile Amplifier

(Preliminary specifications subject to change.)

• 4 x 100 watts into 2 ohms @ less then 0.1% THD

• 4 x 60 watts into 4 ohms @ less then 0.1% THD

• Vega Bass! Boost Control

• High Current MOSFET power supply

• Audiophile Class A/B Bipolar Output Stage

• Durable Mil Spec Glass Epoxy pcb

• Audiophile Grade Audio Components in Signal Path

• Variable 12dB/oct Highpass/Lowpass Crossover

• 2 Year Warranty

Oh= do not OVER HEAT your amp, it wont last & you will need to have it fixed or buy another one, so be careful.

your'e learning.

hey Dafobbishon3 sorry for not responding i wasn't online yesterday.

NO your speakers are not damaged

your comps shouldn't shound like stock speakers, you may need to adjust the adjustment switch on the xover to your liking, yes you'll need to take off your door panel a find your passive xover, take off the cover & you should see an adjustable switch that will be +2;,0:,-1:.

don't turn your gains up keep them where they are. after you adjust your tweeter i bet it will sound a little louder. +2 is more thur -1 is less.

i think you will need to deaden your doors as well, your mids will sound so much better.

what that means is you'll need more of 125rms to make them sound the way they are suppose to sound & UP TO 250max to get them rocking, with the right xover adjustments.

have you thought about useing your cerwin vega for your sub & your arc for you highs?

your arc is 180rms 4ohms per side, plus i think it's a cleaner & more power for Hertz's?????

I know it's a lot of work to change everything around but it maybe worth trying it out.

I'm not sure how many watts your cerwin vega would push out in mono, but it's only 60.4 into 4ohms & 100.4 into 2ohms-OHMS does make difference.plus i went to cerwin vega web site & was looking for the volts,like 12-14.4volts from your charging system =your atl & battery= to see if you would get more watts.they don't list much info about there amps.

what is your sub rms??

(mobile audio0

EXL Series 400.4

• 2 Year Warranty

Oh= do not OVER HEAT your amp, it wont last & you will need to have it fixed or buy another one, so be careful.

your'e learning.

hey Dafobbishon3 sorry for not responding i wasn't online yesterday.NO your speakers are not damaged

what is your sub rms??

(mobile audio0

EXL Series 400.4

• 2 Year Warranty

your'e learning.
well my subs hit up at 300 rms and 600 max. so idk what should i do. i mean it sounds like a good idea switching the amps, but the arc amp pushes 350 @ 2 ohms and thats what my subs are at. 300. and its goin through 2 ohms

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.