Need a better understanding...

Participant count
  • Participant list

T-Roy31
10+ year member

Of Fs in regards to subwoofers... Basically, if my subs have an Fs of 37, it would not be wise to put them in a 4 cube box tuned to anything lower than that # of 37hz??

What happens when you do that?

Also, how does size (cubes) affect tuning/sound/performance of woofer. Say, a 4 cube box tuned to 38 as compared to 2.5-3 cubes tuned to 38hz? With 2 12" woofers. Is it better to be bigger/smaller or what?

I'm mainly concerned with Fs and Tuning. Looking to build a box somewhere in the area of 4 cubes tuned to 35-36hz, with about 77" of port area. Is this good for a sub with an Fs of 37? Fack I'm not good at this stuff. I need to try and learn what I can!

Hopefully I haven't confused anyone as much as I have myself... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Fs is the resonance of the driver. A ported box can extend the range of the driver (downward from fs)

The larger the box the greater the gain at the tuning frequency. The time delay goes up as well.

I cant determine much more unless you list the driver in question.

hope this helps.

edit: grammar fail

Fs is the resonance of the driver. A ported box can extend the range of the driver (downward from fs)
The larger the box the greater the gain at the tuning frequency. Also, the time delay goes up as well.

I cant determin much more unless you list the driver in question.
Sorry, it's a Kaption SPL12 (2 of them). Dual 2ohm model.

Here is a PDF with listed specs!

http://www.kaptionaudio.com/manuals/SPLManual.pdf

OK are you going with a SPL or SQ setup?

The spl setup would be 36.43hz with 3cuft box

122.2db @ 42hz and onward slowly drops after that

group delay is 19ms @ 33hz so it should be good for music

sq- 2.8cuft @ 31.5hz

120db @ 43hz 118 @ 33hz

group delay 16.5ms @ 33hz

Better for music

I'm using bass box pro 6 to model the data

You can get WinISD for free from here

And that's with 1200wrms of power.

OK are you going with a SPL or SQ setup?
The spl setup would be 36.43hz with 3cuft box

122.2db @ 42hz and onward slowly drops after that

group delay is 19ms @ 33hz so it should be good for music

sq- 2.8cuft @ 31.5hz

120db @ 43hz 118 @ 33hz

group delay 16.5ms @ 33hz

Better for music

I'm using bass box pro 6 to model the data

You can get WinISD for free from here

And that's with 1200wrms of power.
Holy chit. Haha I understand not much of that. I do have WinISD, but not a clue how to use it.

I have 1000rms from an Alpine MRDM1005 @2ohms.

So basically if I tune it to about 34-35hz I should get the best of musical and SPL?

Do I have to stick with the 3cubes for best results?

*EDIT* I'm using RE enclosure calculator for the box design

Would you be able to dump in the dimensions or w/e http://www.reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html for the my best option? I've got this to work with or less: 33" long, 22" deep, 16" high

3cuft isnt needed but some output will be lost. These woofers seem to like small boxes.

From what I can see this driver will do fine in a 3cuft box @ 34hz

I'm seeing ~120db @ 45hz pretty flat response

3cuft isnt needed but some output will be lost. These woofers seem to like small boxes.
From what I can see this driver will do fine in a 3cuft box @ 34hz

I'm seeing ~120db @ 45hz pretty flat response

This is confusing... So you're saying it's not going to be loud then? I will see ~120db's on the meter? Or what? Sorry I'm just not great with this whole part of car audio lol.

Flat response meaning what?

Btw, man I cannot thank you enough for the help you've given me! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

*EDIT* I notice on your program for Xmax, it is in inches? Basically it says the xmax of this woofer is 17inches...? (I know its not but I'm just asking if your program knows that, or is set to different measurements?)

Getting loud isnt exactly easy. But 120db is plenty. You may meter more. I think that programs like these undershoot the actual DB rating. As for flat response: it produces each frequency evenly. so a 0db test tone of 45hz will be close to a 0db test tone of 75hz in volume. A nonflat response curve is an SPL curve and it will produce for ex: 125db @ 75hz and 115db @ 45 (thus a sloped curve)

Getting loud isnt exactly easy. But 120db is plenty. You may meter more. I think that programs like these undershoot the actual DB rating. As for flat response: it produces each frequency evenly. so a 0db test tone of 45hz will be close to a 0db test tone of 75hz in volume. A nonflat response curve is an SPL curve and it will produce for ex: 125db @ 75hz and 115db @ 45 (thus a sloped curve)
Wow... So what the hell am I looking at for getting 140db's? Or am I just retarded... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

My Type X 12 in 3cubes tuned to 30 was pretty loud, this setup should be louder, shouldn't it? Fawk I have sooo much to learn.

So is flat response good?

And how does this look, this is ~3cubes tuned at ~34hz.

BOXDESIGN1-1.jpg

*EDIT* What about port area? How does that work? Do I want more, less or what?

Would you be able to plug in some numbers into that calculator so that it looks right to you?

Its good if you like to listen to music;)

140 DB I would try a Fi Q or BTL 18" (more like 148+db)

If you only care for SPL then Poweracustic mofos will do 146 db with 2x12"

(Someone I knows build) They sound like ass tho.

Its good if you like to listen to music;)
140 DB I would try a Fi Q or BTL 18" (more like 148+db)

If you only care for SPL then Poweracustic mofos will do 146 db with 2x12"

(Someone I knows build) They sound like ass tho.
Edited my last post...

So this should be sufficient? You think I'll be happy with it, and compared to my Type X?

more port area = less port noise. The more the better. But the bigger the port hole the longer it must be to achieve a given frequency. I'm not sure what the type x would meter at.

more port area = less port noise. The more the better. But the bigger the port hole the longer it must be to achieve a given frequency. I'm not sure what the type x would meter at.
Fack. Okay, so if I've got about 50 or so of port area, is that going to be a big difference from 20 some?

And what if I'm a over 3 cubes, like towards the 3.5 range just so I can get more port area?

EDIT* What I'm looking at now, is 3.3cubes tuned @ 34.8hz with about 54 for port area. ??

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.