ridered36

Material for 'glassin?

I am going to try and make a fiberglass kick panel pretty soon, its my first time to work with the stuff:eek: . I am gonna get a gallon to start with and lay foil down. I was told to just go buy some sweater-type material at a fabric store....do i get fleece or is it some kind of cotton-based material.

Also, if you know any other things that would help me get started easier let me know.

'84 Chevy K5 Creative Conversions Blazer (super rare!), restored, new paint, new 355, dual exhaust, interior in progress

HU-Pioneer 6400

Front Stage:

4-Boston RX7 5.25's

2-Boston RX7 6.5's

Rear fill:

2-Audiobahn 6.5'

Subs:

2-Shocker Super Extreme 12's in 11 ft^2 @ 32hz

Soon to come:

RE 8's

US 2000X or Tsunami 1800

1-4 channel

1-5 channel

Yellow top

7 inch screen

PS2, DVD player, VHS player

Line driver

Hope to be done around the 1st of the year!!!!

get a quart or so to play with, just so you know what its like before you start the real thing.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how hard is it 1st time? Any tips?

'84 Chevy K5 Creative Conversions Blazer (super rare!), restored, new paint, new 355, dual exhaust, interior in progress

HU-Pioneer 6400

Front Stage:

4-Boston RX7 5.25's

2-Boston RX7 6.5's

Rear fill:

2-Audiobahn 6.5'

Subs:

Soon to come:

RE 8's

US 2000X or Tsunami 1800

1-4 channel

1-5 channel

Yellow top

7 inch screen

Line driver

TTT, need replies!

HU-Pioneer 6400

Front Stage:

4-Boston RX7 5.25's

2-Boston RX7 6.5's

Rear fill:

2-Audiobahn 6.5'

Subs:

Soon to come:

RE 8's

US 2000X or Tsunami 1800

1-4 channel

1-5 channel

Yellow top

7 inch screen

Line driver

dont know have never done it. i dont mean to be rude or mean, but ill tell you that there are probably places online that can tell you a lot about it. i think you can buy fiberglass in liquid form or in strips of it. i guess start with the strips, then use the liquid... dont know much about it, sorry man. real dumb question here because im relativly new with the language, whats the kick panel?:rolleyes:

Goes down by like where your feet rest.

HU-Pioneer 6400

Front Stage:

4-Boston RX7 5.25's

2-Boston RX7 6.5's

Rear fill:

2-Audiobahn 6.5'

Subs:

Soon to come:

RE 8's

US 2000X or Tsunami 1800

1-4 channel

1-5 channel

Yellow top

7 inch screen

Line driver

is it whats on the door? i could pm and avoid all the potential ridicule but id rather make it known that im not that smart.

Originally posted by shrinkydinx

YOU DUMBASS GET OUT IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT A KICKPANEL IS SHITHEAD BEFORE I TUNE YOUR THUNDER!

jus kidding. :rolleyes:

whats TTT?

ttt= to the top...

Originally posted by ridered36

I am going to try and make a fiberglass kick panel pretty soon, its my first time to work with the stuff:eek: . I am gonna get a gallon to start with and lay foil down. I was told to just go buy some sweater-type material at a fabric store....do i get fleece or is it some kind of cotton-based material.

Also, if you know any other things that would help me get started easier let me know.

http://www.caraudioresources.net/technical.html

start there.. they have some good kickpanel and 'spare tire well enclosures'..

I would say only get a small amount of resin to start (quart or what haveyou).. The 'resin' is the liquid part of it all.. The liquid gets put over 'fiberglass mat/fabric' or 'fleece' (or just about anything you want I guess.. but the glass is for structural integrity)..

The general idea is (as I understand it) is that kick panels don't get that much stress from the speaker so it doesn't have to be 'that' stong.. so fleece can work.. (and fleece is cheaper than the fiberglass matt).. Normally, you have one layer of fleece over a wood frame, that gives you a base.. then you layer up a few layers of matting/fabric.. also gives you a smoother final surface to work with, fleece will require a lot of working to get smooth..

Anyway, go read up on it.. When you are done, if you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

(1) Alpine CDA 7892 HU ($214)

(2) 12" Pioneer Premier 1241DVCs in sealed MDF box (gonna glass them eventually) ($69 each)

->removing.. ->(2) 10" Pioneer Premier 1041DVC's in sealed MDF box (gonna glass them eventually) ($59 each)

(2) Lanzar Vibe248 1200 watt 2 chnl amps ($119 each)

It's bump'n GOOD!

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make a moron understand...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now