Zane is probably the only one that would know...

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Replies 8
  • Views 1K
    Participant count
  • Participant list
U

Unregistered

What kind of box would be best for my Alpine SWR-1240? I have a Rockford Punch 360.2 and I drive a Honda Civic. I mainly want sound quality, but I want it to hit hard every now and then. I was thinking a ported enclosure and I have been to the soundillusions website that I saw in another one of your posts.

It said "if you don't know what frequency to tune your port to, build a sealed box..." What frequency would be best for this speaker? I don't want pure SPL, I want quality, and I want it to bump every now and then.

I was thinking of a box with about 1.44 cu.ft. for ported and a 1.0 cu.ft. box for sealed. If I should go ported, how long and wide should the port be???

I'm so lost.

Actually for the best SQ wise- I would still use the sealed enclosure- the Type R's have a phenominal way of reproducing low frequency extension and hitting quite hard, even in the sealed environment. Plus, you have the proper "Accoustic Suspension" to promote excellent SQ, where as a ported enclosure, you would sacrifice this by the limits of the port tuning frequency.

Sealed is the better route for you based on what you have said you are looking for.

However, if you are set on the ported design, we can work some things through a little farther and obtain optimum port length-type-and diameter. If this is the option you wish to explore, also let us know how much trunk room you are willing to give up. Otherwise, the sealed enclosure will do just fine for your install.

take it easy,

-zane

thats exactly what i needed to know.

so as far as box dimensions go, if i'm using a sealed enclosure, should I shoot for having around 1 cu.ft. inside the box or should I look for more?

I have a decent sized trunk, but it is a honda civic....

What about 1 single 12inch type R in a sealed box, Alpine lists .7 cu as the sealed enclosure, and Subzone makes a .88 cu. would that hit it just about right, or should you I go with the 1.24 cu model (next step up) sealed?

sorry my mistake, the next step up in the z-box line is 1.43 cu sealed. is that too much room for 1 Alpine Type-r? should I stick with the .88 cu, or will it sound good in the 1.43? thanks

OK, since there are two unregistered people speaking... I am the other one, and my name is Brad. I have not responded from Zane's last comment until now... just to get stuff straight.

I think I will plan on building my box... i'm short on cash and don't want to order anything else.

I'm the other unregistered speaker, my names Dave. sorry bout that, didn't notice the double unregistered thread replies. my question still stands about if I should go with .88 cu vol. I also have another question. I am planning on driving it with an mtx 6500D amp. will an R type SVC run at 4 ohms 250 suffice, or should I go with the DVC type r and paralell the amp to 2 ohms at 500? the sub is rated at 300 rms per voice coil. so does that mean it will handle the 500 because it would be 600 rms combined, or will it be getting 500 watts to each voice coil? thanks.

I realize that Alpine does specify a slightly smaller enclosure than the one I reccomended, and by building it to thier spec's you really cant go wrong- thats why these companies have R&D. The enclosure volume I previously stated was arrived at by nothing more than an adventuresome afternoon with a few friends of mine.

We had 2 Type R 12's pushed by a MRV1000 and were measuring db readings with different size enclosures to achieve the best performance. The car was an 86 Buick Regal. We must have used the better part of the day cutting and bolting together different enclosures- not to mention more trips to the lumberyard for mdf than I care to mention....

All enclosures were sealed - as this was a requirement by the owner of the subs, as he wanted to keep the SQ at a decent level also, while still achieving stellar SPL.

We built enclosures from .5ft^3 (per sub) all the way up to 2.5ft^3(per sub)- we used an actual SPL meter that we had previously purchased from Radio Shack for arround $40.00. We noticed the most increase in SPL- while still recording no audible difference on the SQ side of things between 1.0 -1.25ft^3. The increase was approximately 7db's.

All Volume/Gain/Bass/Treble controls were the same each time we took the measurements to retain consistency.

This is just a successful avenue that we ventured down, so I was just passing this on so others could take advantage of it also, as I have replicated this db increase in a few installs since our initial testing.

In SPL every db counts- and being able to retain the SQ while doing so- is the added plus.

take it easy,

-zane

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.