Z v.4 10" Prototype : 2nd Woofer New Parts

with a surround that big, how much effective cone area are you loosing out on? i kno the extra Xmax probobly makes up for it, but for some reason it looks like the surround is too big. lol

Matt

Got the 10" Z v.4 motor charged up to run specs on it -- so here we are (D2 coil) :Sd : 366 cm^2
with a surround that big, how much effective cone area are you loosing out on? i kno the extra Xmax probobly makes up for it, but for some reason it looks like the surround is too big. lol
Matt
On the 10" model there is equal and/or slightly greater SD than most 10s depending on the calculation method as the 10" frame is slightly over-sized.

On the other sizes there is a ~10% difference.

gotcha. thats what i thought after looking at the Sd spec. too bad you cant do a surround like the W7. ive always loved that look, and you gain piston area with that method. doesnt JL have that patented tho?

Matt

edit: also whats the Xmax on these suckers?

Wholly ****!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/awesome.gif.4430a219d9aaaa6cadc75e9290979dfb.gif When are these available?? I'd love to have a 10! Any info on availability? Release dates? Or if I could just buy the prototype? Lol

gotcha. thats what i thought after looking at the Sd spec. too bad you cant do a surround like the W7. ive always loved that look, and you gain piston area with that method. doesnt JL have that patented tho?
Matt

edit: also whats the Xmax on these suckers?
JL does have a patent on their surround method; it is cool but I've always thought it opens up too much possibility of end-user error. Knowledgeable folks would have no problem at all but I'd worry about beginners.

Linear x-max by 70% BL is in the high 20s (I will be getting Klippel done on a Z v.4 to verify FEA predictions) -- we can get the coil to 47.5mm in the physical gap -- and I've moved it up to ~60mm into the fringe field (not a good idea). We are using alot of the excess suspension capacity as a safety zone in the current driver / coil setups being displayed -- I will have a "super excursion" coil option available for the Z v.4 and NS v.3 that will get you into the mid to high 30s linear but does eat away at the safety net and, naturally, has a higher MMS and inductance. This coil would be capable of 55mm in the physical gap and would also bottom out at 55mm (longer coil leaves less room in the motor).

---------- Post added at 08:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 AM ----------

Wholly ****!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/awesome.gif.4430a219d9aaaa6cadc75e9290979dfb.gif When are these available?? I'd love to have a 10! Any info on availability? Release dates? Or if I could just buy the prototype? Lol
ETA and pricing are yet to be announced.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

sundownz

Pro Seller
Supporting Vendor
sundownz
North Carolina
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date