you try to teach them....

Beatin'
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MI
...but they don't listen.

I know somebody that wants to put some subs in his vehicle.

He's been asking me and some of his freinds on what to get, etc, etc....

First he buys a prefab ported box. I try to teach him about unloading and prefab boxes being tuned too high. He just looks at me funny. Eventually he understands....

......but ends up buying an amp from Worst Buy with no sub sonic filter, after we talked about the need for one many times.

Then I try to teach him about wiring and wiring kits and you can get ripped off with getting not-true to gauge wire made from aluminum, etc, etc. What does he do today? He buys a generic amp wiring kit with all the usual problems. I even told him when he was buying it right there on the counter that the wire is not really 4gauge and he said some BS to rationalize his purchase. It's also copper clad aluminum even though the package says "OFC". //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif

He wanted to hook it up to his stock HU. The guy gives him a cheap chinese peice of crap OEM integration harness that, couple of hours later, found out isn't even the correct harness. Worse, I already showed him the correct harness online last month.

And to top it all off, he bought this shit from some fucker from the flea market that tried to steal ten bucks from my younger brother years ago. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/pissed.gif.9f665f96bc89e98e708dabd4580bb591.gif

He knows that I know what I'm talking about. He knows that I've done my own installation. But for some odd reason, he wants somebody else to install this stuff for him, which is fine, if he wasn't talking about his freinds who don't know crap, or Worst Buy and their shady installations........

Its a matter of pride. I have a B,S degree in Computer Information Systems and none of my friends ask for my help. They would rather take it to a repair shop or Geek Squad to get it fixed when they know Ill do it for free. The only time they ask for it is when its related to database structures because nobody around here in any PC repair shop can put together a database or populate it using SQL code.

I had the same type of friend. I turned him on to car audio and he bought MTX subs, prefab box, hifonics amp, and probably cca wire. He realized it was poop and now he has exactly what I have (for substage) but exactly twice of it. He has 12" type Rs and an Alpine MRX-110 amp and a semi-decent ported box (still prefab). I even told him "Don't just get what I have, it's overpriced" but he didnt listen to that either haha. Now I've gotta one up him. I plan on getting a 12" DC level 4 and running it on 1500rms and a new custom ported box around 30hz. Then we will have to compare again. Only his might still be "louder" since he has two subs and they're in a box that's probably tuned too high. But mine will undoubtedly sound better.

I have people come up to me all the time,asking me questions on what to get and they do the very opposite. I dont understand as well. What can you do? You can fix stupid. Or what my mom always told me a hard head makes a soft as$. Lol

You don't need an amp with a subsonic setting.
The hell he does with that port in his prefab being pretty short, which means it's tuned too high. Pretty wise to have a SSF for that type of setup.

The amp is a Polk Audio PA880. AB class doing 500wrms at 2ohms. I offered my KAC-8105D for MUCH cheaper than the amp he got, and it has a SSF, yet he refused. Instead he buys the polk after I showed him online retailers and amps he can get at the price he paid for the PA880 that can do twice the rated power at 2 ohms.

wtf is going on........

Some people will never get it. This dumb kid just tried trading me a 2000 watt boss mono amp. He said its 2000rms at 2ohm. When I told him it was overrated he got pissy with me. What a douche

Its a matter of pride. I have a B,S degree in Computer Information Systems and none of my friends ask for my help. They would rather take it to a repair shop or Geek Squad to get it fixed when they know Ill do it for free. The only time they ask for it is when its related to database structures because nobody around here in any PC repair shop can put together a database or populate it using SQL code.
you cant fix stupid....... just my .2 cents

Happens all the time. I currently have 4 lanzar opti 1232d on a DC audio 5k. It sounds ******. Before had it on a planet audio bb2400.1 and they would ask me how did u do it so I would tell them give me about 550 and ill make it sound the more less the same. Wat do they do? Go out and buy a boss 5000 watt amp. 4 pioneer subs with 2 prefab box wire them at about half ohm and say why does my wire melt in the connection to the amp. I always tell them here at any local shop the connect just positive positive negative negative. I tell them ill install it yet they pay like 60 to get it installed. Then they blow the amp and the local shop say it isn't their fault they connected right and someone else moved it. They come back to me to and I tell them u blew the amp. They're like how?! It's a 5000 watt amp -_-

All you can do is recommend to him,is about all that can be done.Some people do not want to listen to others..I am guilty of this, especially at work..I generally want to do things my way, mainly due to have done before, and dont want to try something new that I feel will not work, and create more time to get done.I am just as Guilty.We all learn in our own ways.Some ways are harder, and more expensive than others..Just have to let him alone, and spend his money on his system the way he chooses, weather it is sub/par or not..in all, it is his money, and his system:)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Beatin'

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
Beatin'
MI
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date