WTF paint curing issues?

PV Audio
5,000+ posts

The Vision of Sound
Indy
Okay guys, I'm at a complete loss here. This is the third time this has happened, so I'm completely confused. For my past three projects, none of my finishes have cured fully at all. My lacquer rear channels have been done for 3 weeks and still get indented by thumb nails, my sealed HT sub has been done for 10 days (lacquer) and still is quite tacky (sticks to the floor), and my newest enamel ported HT sub hasn't cured fully either after 7 days of drying on 3 panels. This is the interesting thing though: I haven't the faintest idea what the problem is. The biggest bit of info is that when I painted my rear channels, I did rustoleum auto primer, rustoleum pro flat black and then valspar clear lacquer.

When I did the sealed sub, same primer, but rustoleum black lacquer. for the HT sub, same primer, and then rustoleum pro gloss black. The flat black paint on the rear channels cured perfectly within hours TOPS. The same paint, on the same wood, with the same preparation with the same primer with the only difference being that it's gloss hasn't cured after over a week. The **** is the problem here? Humidity is stable at 50% in the garage, and it doesn't get about 82 in there either. Any ideas?

hmmmm.......Just turn off the lights.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif J/k

IDK man good luck, hope you get an answer.

sun dry ftw?
I dunno man.... try a different paint. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
The ****er's been sitting outside all day as long as it isn't raining. Still no dice.

Rustoleum pro is not supposed to be topcoated in my experience. I tried clearing it and it never dried, not sure why. Also if you are using Krylon Crystal Clear, it ***** too. Make sure you are using the same type of paint, either Lacquer or Enamel, they don't mix well.

Are you using this type?

a1075011.gif

If so, I used this before, it has a fast drying time over regular 'cheap' enamel spray can paint,

it good paint.

As noted already, perhaps applying an additional clear cloat of lacquer over enamel paint is

causing issues *or* your single coats are way too thick.

is it spray lacquer? or was it a brush on/spray gun laquer that needs to be mixed with a curing agent? some need a curing agent to be mixed with the paint, kind of like hardener for bondo or resin, or else it won't cure

well, there is a accelerent you can get from auto body supplie shops, i think you need to mix it in when painting, but with a air sprayer, you may be able to use the curing agent alone. Ya, thats wierd it wont dry. maybe bad paint ? bad primer? I pained a box friday night with krylon gloss, and installed Saturday morn, it was dry. Also, I used a oil based roll on primer, 2 coats, sanded, then a few thin coats applied after it flashed, till it was covered. so not thick coats, but enough to cover. Worse case, scrape it off, sand it down and try again.

Still tacky btw. What I don't understand is that it's only happening with the pro gloss line. The pro flat line dried perfectly, and I painted them exactly the same.

It has been in the high 70s to low 80s with 48% humidity for the past few weeks while it's been drying.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

PV Audio

5,000+ posts
The Vision of Sound
PV Audio
Indy
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date