WTB: Surround sound setup

Participant count
  • Participant list

Digital Designs
10+ year member

Aclministrator
Limestone NY
I need a surround sound setup for my new TV I just bought. I have a DVD Player already, so I dont need that. Just speakers and whatever else needed to make it plug and play. My DVD player is a Philips DVP3962 if that helps at all. I would like a 5.1 system but anything with a powered sub would do fine. Please let me know what you have.

BTW: I dont have much to spend so anything sub-$100 would be great.

For less than $100, you should look for older equipment from craigslist, ebay, and occasionally your local goodwill.

My dorm system consists of a Sony 5.1 reciever, a pair of 3-way Onkyo towers with a 12" woofer in each one, a pair of JVC bookshelf speakers as a center channel, and a pair of Sony bookshelf speakers for the rear. I'd get a subwoofer, but it really is overkill for a dorm.

It cost me about $100. With some tweaking, it sounds much better than any $600 HTIB system.

For less than $100, you should look for older equipment from craigslist, ebay, and occasionally your local goodwill.
My dorm system consists of a Sony 5.1 reciever, a pair of 3-way Onkyo towers with a 12" woofer in each one, a pair of JVC bookshelf speakers as a center channel, and a pair of Sony bookshelf speakers for the rear. I'd get a subwoofer, but it really is overkill for a dorm.

It cost me about $100. With some tweaking, it sounds much better than any $600 HTIB system.
Well, one question I have is what all do I need? It isn't like a computer setup where I just get the speakers and they are powered? I need a receiver too?

Well, one question I have is what all do I need? It isn't like a computer setup where I just get the speakers and they are powered? I need a receiver too?
A system starts at the receiver. The point of a 5.1 system to is have 5 independent channels. An in-box computer system only gives you stereo output. The receiver also gives you a lot of tuning flexibility. You can use the receiver to power your speakers as well.

At the least, you're going to need:

1) A receiver

2) A front stage (center channel + two front speakers)

3) Rears

4) Wiring (You'll need either a 5.1, coaxial, or a digital cable in order to have true surround sound)

A system starts at the receiver. The point of a 5.1 system to is have 5 independent channels. An in-box computer system only gives you stereo output. The receiver also gives you a lot of tuning flexibility.
You can use the receiver to power your speakers as well.
Where is a good place to buy a receiver? Do the cheap systems at say, Wal-Mart, have a receiver in them? What is a good cheap receiver?

I got a mint Onkyo 5.1 ill sell you for $100 + shipping
Well, I was hoping to get everything for close to that price. So I think I will have to pass //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Where is a good place to buy a receiver? Do the cheap systems at say, Wal-Mart, have a receiver in them? What is a good cheap receiver?
They do, but any HTIB you buy for $100 is a POS. You'll essentially get a cheap reciever with no tuning capabilities, five speakers that are similar to the ones you already have in your television, and a 6" subwoofer with 15 watts going to it.

I would personally rather look for older components and put it together myself. You might go a little over $100, but it would be well worth the effort and extra price tag. The other day I was in goodwill and saw a Yamaha 5.1 reciever and two 10" 3-way Yamaha towers for $110. Just that would be significantly better than a $100 5.1 HTIB.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Digital Designs

10+ year member
Aclministrator
Digital Designs
Limestone NY
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies