would this be possible ? cone/former/dustcap triangulation ?

well after watching that vid you can see that it was the soft parts failing where they are glued together and not that the coil went thru the cone

A Neo driver like that would rip through the cone and tear the dust cap right off with it -- there is ALOT of force behind a coil when it rips through the cone like that.

I saw the inside of an 18" cone get turned inside out in Beau's truck *laughs*

Not that it is a bad idea -- extra strength is pretty much always good //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif But in those cases it would still fail more than likely.

looks like the tripple joint needs to built up. free air'in like that should have never came apart because there isnt much force on the cone. i have seen this happen many times in a wall.

by the looks of the vid the coil is still attached to the spiders so weak cone joint. applying a ample amount of epoxy ontop of the cone around the former ( go outward of the former 1-2" on the cone)is how i do it. ca glue should not be the only glue used on that joint...

all I wanted to do with this post is get some ideas going.

I do not own any neo subs - but more and more neo motors are being designed and built - and it looks like they can have some crazy motor force to them.

now ( as upposed to a fiew years ago ) extremely large amps are readily avalable for sale to any tom **** and harry that wants one

as the general thoughts are that we all need 3k+ on each subwoofer now to be loud

so we might as well take a fiew looks at how to streingthen up the products to help them last a bit longer.

i mean it is cool to get a psi recone on your sub because it blew - but id like my stuff to last as long as possible.

and I do believe if the right dust cap was used - it would / could help streingthen the cone to coil joint to prevent the coil from just ripping apart the glue joint at the cone.

in the video - it looks like they had a pressed paper cone attached - and the glue joint was still there. the actual paper cone just tore away from the glue joint that was still on the coil it self - so the glue joint was not a failure on that - the cone actually tore it self away... becuase it was only about a 3" circle supplying the entire force of the coils movment to the cone.... IF that sub had a strong dust cap bonded to the top ring of the coil and to the cone together - then that glue area should be about 5" or larger around and the 3" glue joint for the bottom of the cone would together apply a larger area of force to be applied to the cone from the coil it self vs just the 3" coil glue joint. - would the cone have ripped it self a 5.5" hole like it did in the video had the dust cap been designed like I have in the pictures ? possibly - yes it could - but I imagine the cone would be a bit harder to rip up that high in to it from coil force alone.

and to top it all off - the spiders / tinsel leads ext.. were still 100% functional on that sub - evidence as they kept plaing it past its failure rate - and it never did show any signs of smoking up or burning... the only thing wrong with that sub was the cone simply could not keep up with the coil.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.