would this be possible ? cone/former/dustcap triangulation ?

brian84corvette
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I saw a video I believe of a dc subwoofer tear it self apart, the coil basicly ripped right thru the cone. maby it was the prototype neo motor sub I saw this happen to - I forget realley.. sorry

but

it got me thinking - why couldnt the coil / former be designed to be the exact height you would need it to be to basicly rest on the dust cap when its installed. then there could be a glue ring put around the top of the coil / former and that would glue the dust cap to it - and the dust cap could also glue to the cone. making for a triangulation of sorts to the cone attachment to the coil.

it would theoreticly take alot of stress off the small glue joint at the bottom of the cone if you used a strong dust cap to do this with.

but then there might be issues with un equil air preassures on each side of the coil up under the dust cap as the sub travels in its stroke.... so I guess removing the areas in pink on my drawing below might be enough to equalize the two preassure zones enough to work..... with some trial and error.... it just seems like if it was all thought out and planned correctly this would be a good way to streingthen up the subs that are now being built to take crazy amounts of power / motor force.

please excuse my third grade drawing skills... lol

PICT0011-14.jpg

does this not seem like a logical idea to you guys ?

Pioneer used to make subs where the top of the former was connected to a metal dustcap in order to help dissapait heat....
They bang too. My buddy has a pair of 12's like that. They are starting to get old now though. I can see cracks in the foam , anyday now they are gonna split.

cool. i wish more companies would do that. only mainstream companies iv'e seen do it is mtx with the rfl's kicker with the solo x's and now boston.
We wouldn't want to make it easier to repair your sub than throw it away now would we //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

They bang too. My buddy has a pair of 12's like that. They are starting to get old now though. I can see cracks in the foam ' date=' anyday now they are gonna split.[/quote']
You might be able to re-foam them... otherwise have him send them to me so I can recone them...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

this is the video im talking about.

it was a dc neo sub. - and the cone strait up ripped as the coil had too much force applying to one small area.

if using the former as attachment to the dust cap - and using it all as extra glue - streingthning points - this would of not happend.

You might be able to re-foam them... otherwise have him send them to me so I can recone them...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
I will ask him about them. I know one is "fucked up" , it still plays fine with no noise at all , but i slung some stuff around when i owned them and a old amp fell right through one. It cracked a straight line from D-cap to surround , i used JB weld on it over 2 years ago and it's still bangin'.

well the only reason that should happen is if some 1 bottoms out the sub like crazy thats the only way a coil should go thru the sub
TC 5400's had that cone issue where the cone would actually fail lol....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.