Would my image dynamic idq's sound better in a diffrent box

Participant count
  • Participant list

jmh51193
10+ year member

va
Right now I have 2 idq10's in a box made for under the seat back seat of my truck. While I know this is not optimal, it does meet all the specs from the manufacturer. They box is sealed a has 0.95 cubic inch for each speaker They sound good but just don't have the sq that they are known for to me. Would a different designed box make them sound better.

Powered by a sundown 1000.1. Alpine headunit doesnt have many options when it comes to crossover points and things.

Powered by a sundown 1000.1. Alpine headunit doesnt have many options when it comes to crossover points and things.
Sundown SAE1000D? Whats the model on the HU? Did you set your gains with a DMM? Did you set the HPF/LPF properly? Did you turn bass boost up? Is the bass up on the HU? So many different variables. You need to be more specific with your setup and settings.

Sundown SAE1000D? Whats the model on the HU? Did you set your gains with a DMM? Did you set the HPF/LPF properly? Did you turn bass boost up? Is the bass up on the HU? So many different variables. You need to be more specific with your setup and settings.
Yes SAE1000d. Headunit is Alpine ida-x001. Did not set gains with dmm but have one, just not sure how to properly set the gain using it. LPF set around 80hz. 0 bass boost. Bass on headunit is all the way up.

Turn the bass boost all the way to 0 or flat. Then set your gains properly on your amp via DMM. What are your subs wired to at the amp? Or better yet what voice coils do your subs have?

DVC wired to 1 ohm final load
So you have a pair of IDQ 10DVC4's. Tune them for 1000wrms from the DMM. Use a 50Hz 0DB test tone.

Here is the equation.

Volts = SQRT (Wattage x final ohm load)Volts = SQRT (xxxxx)

Volts = VAC
Volts = SQRT (1000W x 1 ohms)Volts = SQRT (1000)

Volts = 31.6VAC
When you tune with the DMM set the speaker lever as high as you listen to, turn it down a few notches, then pop in the test tone CD, have your DMM wired to the sub speaker outputs. Then tune the gain until you get as close to 31.6V as you can. Do that and then report back on your SQ issues.

ok will do. Do I do this with the speakers still hooked up to the amp? And also what for the settings on the headunit?

ok will do. Do I do this with the speakers still hooked up to the amp? And also what for the settings on the headunit?
Set bass at 0 on the HU. Unhook the speakers. Make sure the car is off when you unplug the subs.

What should by subwoofer level be on my head unit?
15. The Alpines have an bass boost which should be labeled as bass and then the Subwoofer level which basically attenuates the sub. If its not at 15/15 then the preout voltage will never reach the advertised rating.

Alright I got it tuned with my dmm. It was really really close to the 31v already but it does sound a little better. Sounds great on rap songs, just with my rock and other genre's had the same sq.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.