Worried about open cell egg crate foam in doors... justified?

Participant count
  • Participant list

bchandler
10+ year member

Florida
I just got finished mounting my Rainbow CMX kick mids in my doors. I thoroughly deadened the door with Raammat, and right behind the speaker I used some open cell egg crate foam that I brought home from work. I bought the fabric sealer for camping (camping section at Wal-mart, I think it is a silicone spray), and sprayed the uncut sheets of foam with it, but when I cut and fit the foam to the door's shape, I did not reseal, so the edges of the material are unsealed. I am worried about water retention and mold growth in my doors. I was careful to not block the drainage openings at the bottom of the door, though. I used to have a strip of egg crate on the bottom of the door, but removed it after it rained during the install and I found it the most soaked. So now all the pieces are in a vertical orientation.

Am I being overcautious? Taking the speaker out to redo it would be a major pain. It would mean removing all the clay used, as well as cutting the tweeter wires and resoldering them when I put the door panel back on. However, it is always hot, humid, and usually raining here in Florida.

Are car audio speakers, especially Rainbow, made to take the harsh environment of a car door?

and what do you suggest to replace it? I'm having a hard time finding acoustical foam that is closed cell, since it is made to be used indoors...

I looked at the wal-mart closed cell egg crate (camping pad). Not gonna use it. It's only 1/2" thick and barely "egg-crated"

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bchandler

10+ year member
bchandler
Florida
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from