WinISD port velocity is impossible!

AudioProf

CarAudio.com Newbie
May 24, 2020
Iowa
It seems like every time I try to build a ported enclosure in WinISD it's impossible to get the rear port air velocity under 17m/s that most people recommend.

I just bought an SSA Icon 12" D2 and I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've played with box size, no help. I've messed with port dimensions but I don't want 4 - 60" long ports; that's insane.

In the screen shot you can see the numbers I input for the sub as well as the original T/S from their website. I have the Signal set to 1000w, Lowpass: 100Hz, Highpass: 20Hz. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

shredder2

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
Nov 19, 2017
Az
It seems like every time I try to build a ported enclosure in WinISD it's impossible to get the rear port air velocity under 17m/s that most people recommend.

I just bought an SSA Icon 12" D2 and I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've played with box size, no help. I've messed with port dimensions but I don't want 4 - 60" long ports; that's insane.

In the screen shot you can see the numbers I input for the sub as well as the original T/S from their website. I have the Signal set to 1000w, Lowpass: 100Hz, Highpass: 20Hz. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 22181
17 m/s?.. I suppose I should have used a 12" aeroport instead in my ride. Where is this info coming from?.. I'm curious

Reactions: THATpurpleKUSH

AudioProf

CarAudio.com Newbie
May 24, 2020
Iowa
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
17 m/s?.. I suppose I should have used a 12" aeroport instead in my ride. Where is this info coming from?.. I'm curious
The highest number I’ve seen the different forum experts is 30 m/s; the home audio crowd swears by 17 m/s. I’ve only built sealed boxes so I don’t know what to believe but 50 m/s sounds very high by comparison. I have read that aiming the port away from the listener can help to hide port chuffing.

AudioProf

CarAudio.com Newbie
May 24, 2020
Iowa
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If port velocity is too high that means the port is too small. Use more port area to lower velocity.
I figured out that part. The problem is, once I make the port bigger the length becomes unreasonable. I upped the size in WinISD to a 6” square port and it says it needs to be 58” long! If I make the port bigger the port gets even longer.

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
5,000+ posts
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
The highest number I’ve seen the different forum experts is 30 m/s; the home audio crowd swears by 17 m/s. I’ve only built sealed boxes so I don’t know what to believe but 50 m/s sounds very high by comparison. I have read that aiming the port away from the listener can help to hide port chuffing.
around 30 m/s is fine if you have decent amounts of power. 17 m/s is absolutely retarded unless you are doing an SPL burp box with 15k watts to per sub. Home audio does not transfer to car audio, get rid of all common knowledge you know from home audio, its mostly useless.

Reactions: AudioProf

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds