wingless' Parrot MKi9200 Bluetooth Installation

Participant count
  • Participant list

wingless

Florida
My 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee was special-ordered by me over 22 years ago. I had installed a really nice Sony CDX-64RF ten disc changer back when the vehicle was new. Lately I haven't been using CD media much or at all so I decided to replace it with the Parrot MKi9200 for both the Bluetooth audio and the hands-free telephone.

The 1-1/2 DIN Infinity Gold head unit has a rear-panel 8-pin DIN connector with line-level audio inputs and a low-active remote enable. This was used w/ my disc changer and is now used w/ the Parrot. This remote enable is ideal for routing a line-level input. It kills the existing audio and switches to the DIN audio. The only deficiency is that it doesn't retract the power antenna. (remember those?)

The Parrot has a wired removable display and a wireless remote control. The location I selected for the display was the control pad to the right of the steering wheel. The available footprint is perfect for the display.

The rear wiper / rear defroster / OD OFF dash panel control pad was removed and modified to cut a notch, so the cable could feed from the front surface, through the control, to the rear of the dash. The control rear panel does not need to be modified, just removed, the interior PCB removed, the front modified, then the control reassembled.

The Parrot MKi9200 has a large cable assembly, w/ the ISO in/out, audio, mute and power. My application does not use the ISO wires, so I depopulated those from the connector and removed them from the cable assembly.

That cable assembly also had large flag labels on the wires I was using, so I removed those and used my Brady label printer on heat shrink label stock to mark the wires much better than the original labels.

When the glove box is removed on the '94 Grand Cherokee there is a black inner lining, also shaped like the glove box. The rear surface of that black lining, behind the relay block, is an ideal mounting location for a small box-shaped electronic box, like this Parrot BlueBox. There is nearby power and the connectors may be accessed w/o yanking the dash.

That BlueBox location worked nicely w/ the glovebox-mounted USB / 3.5mm audio jack cable. One nice thing is that when the glovebox is removed that cable may be unplugged from the BlueBox, through the existing black lining opening. Note that the side of the black lining needed to be cut to make room for the back of the USB / 3.5mm cable.

This is a good, full-featured system and I do not hesitate to recommend the Parrot MKi9200.

Parrot%20Screen%20Operating%20Installed.jpg

Disassembled%20Switch%20Panel%20Notch%20Cut.jpg

Partially%20Assembled%20Switch%20Panel%20Cut.jpg

Screen%20Cable%20Routed%20Through%20Switch%20Panel.jpg

Parrot%20Screen%20Cable%20Installed.jpg

Parrot%20Audio%20Power%20Mute%20Cable.jpg

Modified%20Parrot%20Audio%20Power%20Mute%20Cable.jpg

Parrot%20BlueBox%20Mounted.jpg

Mounted%20Parrot%20Music%20Cable.jpg

My Jeep had an integrated snap-in Motorola telephone kit that I installed back when the car was new, w/ a roof antenna and everything.

That unused kit was yanked. I left the Pro-Fit JP-71-92 Phone Mount Bracket (and the unused antenna).

My iPhone 5S has a Waterproof Lifeproof FRĒ Case because I need to keep the phone dry while boating. I used the waterproof case w/ their belt clip, because I am a trend-setting stylish guru.

The pivot on the belt clip failed, rendering the clip useless for holding the phone onto my belt.

The belt clip was modified, sanding the rear side smooth.

Holes were drilled in the belt clip, aligning w/ the honeycomb cavities and also aligning w/ the bracket holes.

Now I have a spot to snap my phone in the car.

Pro-Fit%20JP-71-92%20w%20Belt%20Clip.jpg

Pro-Fit%20JP-71-92%20w%20iPhone%205S.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.