Will balloons work?

adammk5
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
hey everyone,

I have a question that I am unsure of....

I have a XXX 15 in a 3.5 cubic box sealed, I was wondering if I were to put balloons with air inside them, then put the balloons in my box, would I be subtracting any air space inside the box.

See, I want to put wooden blocks but I'm concerned about wieght.

If the balloons don't work i'll build a new 1.8 cubic box sealed for the xxx.

get some expandable foam stuff. then spray a big glob in there, and test it. let it dry frist. stuff weighs about .00000001 ounce - lol .. jk- but it seriously weighs almost nothing.

just cut off whatever is too much, and if you dont want it in there, you can always scrape it out. it will also act to kill dead waves by bouncing them everywhre.

stuff wont rattle eaither... because its quite sticky when its wet... so just spray a big glob in the corner of the box and let it dry. then test the sub and see if you like it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

good luck!

get some expandable foam stuff. then spray a big glob in there, and test it. let it dry frist. stuff weighs about .00000001 ounce - lol .. jk- but it seriously weighs almost nothing.
just cut off whatever is too much, and if you dont want it in there, you can always scrape it out. it will also act to kill dead waves by bouncing them everywhre.

stuff wont rattle eaither... because its quite sticky when its wet... so just spray a big glob in the corner of the box and let it dry. then test the sub and see if you like it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

good luck!
Great idea. Great stuff from home depot. Works wonders. Unless you really want a smaller box, then build it. But no balloons will not work

Balloons simply wont work, at all. Think about it, without the balloon, you are compressing the air inside the box. Add the balloons... the air inside the balloons simply compresses too. I doubt adding flexible rubber containers (balloons) filled with air would change perceived air volume inside the enclosure at all.

The expandable foam doesn't work well either, as its way too porous. The reason it weighs nothing is because once its expanded, its made mostly of air, which doesn't really help to displace air inside the box.

You need something solid.

Balloons simply wont work, at all. Think about it, without the balloon, you are compressing the air inside the box. Add the balloons... the air inside the balloons simply compresses too. I doubt adding flexible rubber containers (balloons) filled with air would change perceived air volume inside the enclosure at all.
The expandable foam doesn't work well either, as its way too porous. The reason it weighs nothing is because once its expanded, its made mostly of air, which doesn't really help to displace air inside the box.

You need something solid.
Try it. Fill your box half full of great stuff and see if nothing changes... Then come on here and talk like you know what would happen.

yea dude. it makes this really hard film over the outside, and they are tiny bubbles all 'glued' together. how do you think it works as an INSULATOR if its 'full of holes'

porus means that it is just full of holes. for example, a rock with holes is porus. a sponge is porus.

but this stuff is like that white foam. its not porus, it just expands its volume to use the same mass that it has, but it takes up more volume. thats why the stuff is so great.

give it a try, take a soda bottle, fill it half way with water. then seal the top of the bottle with a glob of this stuff (maybe put it on a tissue or somthing, and then squish it into the top of the hole so it stays in place)

then let it dry, and flip the bottle over. let me know if it leaks... i highly doubt that it will //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

if it does, that means that the water is getting through it somehow, if not, it is infact a sealed-cell foam - like styrofoam. if all esle fails, just get some of that pink styrofoam from the hardware store for $5 and cut .5cubic feet off and use some glue and stick it to the wall.

finito.

I still say make a new box......it'll cost ya $20 and a little bit more elbow grease....but if you are concerned about weight, the larger box (with crap stuffed inside to take up volume) will still weigh more than a smaller box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

^^^x2

but this way he can see what 'size' box works best, and THEN build it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Balsa wood or lightweight spruce would do the job, and not add too much in extra weight.

Although, a passenger in the car is going to add more weight than any amount of wood you could add to that box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

adammk5

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
adammk5
Houston, TX
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date