Wierd impedence

Participant count
  • Participant list

ucsandiego

LA
Hey everyone! Please help me. I want to hook up two speakers to one channel in parallel. The amplifier is rated for 4 ohms, 2 ohms, or 1 ohm per channel. I want to hook up a 4 ohm and a 3 ohm speaker together into one channel which is 1.7 ohms. Will this cause problems? Having a wierd ohmage like 1.7 ohms?

Assume that I'm using top-of-the-line equipment, accurately rated amps and speakers. Not concerned about acoustic performance, not concerned about whether 1 ohm stable amps exist in 2 channel or 4 channel, none of that. Thanks to anyone who knows what their talking about and can get straight to the point.

Hey everyone! Please help me. I want to hook up two speakers to one channel in parallel. The amplifier is rated for 4 ohms, 2 ohms, or 1 ohm per channel. I want to hook up a 4 ohm and a 3 ohm speaker together into one channel which is 1.7 ohms. Will this cause problems? Having a wierd ohmage like 1.7 ohms?
Assume that I'm using top-of-the-line equipment, accurately rated amps and speakers. Not concerned about acoustic performance, not concerned about whether 1 ohm stable amps exist in 2 channel or 4 channel, none of that. Thanks to anyone who knows what their talking about and can get straight to the point.
If the amp has a rated 2ohm load. Then yes you could wire whatever speakers you want as long as total imp load stays near 2ohms. 1.7 is iffy but you should be fine. Different speakers play different spl levels with the same power to them so one will be louder than the other

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

No I'm saying this amp can play at 1 ohm per channel or 2 ohms per channel. Are you saying that if it can play 1 ohm, it can play 1.7 ohms just fine? I'm only concerned because it's a wierd impedence. I don't know if amps are strictly stable to exactly 1 ohm or exactly 2 ohms, but not some wierd ohm like 1.7

No I'm saying this amp can play at 1 ohm per channel or 2 ohms per channel. Are you saying that if it can play 1 ohm, it can play 1.7 ohms just fine? I'm only concerned because it's a wierd impedence. I don't know if amps are strictly stable to exactly 1 ohm or exactly 2 ohms, but not some wierd ohm like 1.7
Hook up a dmm to the speaker and push on the cone, ohms fluctuate while it moves, the amp won't see 1.7ohms all the time..

right but generally speaking if an amp says 2 ohm stable, you can safely hook up a 2 ohm speaker. if it is 1 ohm stable you can hook up a 1 ohm setup. im wondering that if it is 1 ohm stable and 2 ohm stable, can i hook up a 1.7 ohm setup

right but generally speaking if an amp says 2 ohm stable, you can safely hook up a 2 ohm speaker. if it is 1 ohm stable you can hook up a 1 ohm setup. im wondering that if it is 1 ohm stable and 2 ohm stable, can i hook up a 1.7 ohm setup
Yes If it's 1ohm stable anything higher then 1ohm is fine... 1.7ohm is fine

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.