why remove negative terminal?

Dream01x

when your supposed to do any electrical work, they always say to remove the negative terminal. can anyone explain why?? sorry i don't know much about this, I just recently fried my HU ( being stupid, not removing the terminals...). but yea, why remove the negatives? as opposed to the positives???

thx

doesnt matter, removing one is good enuf, or just rip out the fuse, or do wat i do dont let them touch, heh i had lil spark incident amp was grounded, and power wire from other amp touched the heatsink and nice spark came out of it, lol no blown fuses so i dont care //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

When disconnecting a battery completely, the appropriate method is to disconnect negative, then disconnect positive. To reconnect, you should connect positive, then negative. This is for safety reasons to reduce the risk of spark while disconnecting and reconnecting the cables, which could cause the battery to explode.

In order to disconnect the positive cable properly for safety reasons, you should disconnect the negative cable first, anyway. It's simpler just to remove the negative cable to disrupt the power flow than it would be to remove the negative, then the positive, so it's generally accepted practice to just remove the negative cable.

Remove the battery GROUND wire first. In most cars that's the negative side (some British cars are positive ground).

The reason is if you accidentally touch your wrench or ratchet to ground while removing the terminal, you'd get major sparks.

removing the ground(negative) it breaks the circuit so nothing will power on. just like if you were to unhook the ground from your amplifier, it would not turn on. and like everyone else said, saves you from electricuiting yourself/blowing fuses/ frying amps

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.