Why does everyone bash Sony headunits?

circumflex
10+ year member

After browsing this forum for a while it seems like the general consensus is that Alpine/Clarion/Eclipse are the only decks worth buying. I'm planning on getting this Sony HU:

h158CDXM880-f.jpeg

h158CDXM880-o_CD.jpeg

I'm going with this one because I think it looks good, offers all the features I'm looking for (mp3, xm compatible, etc), and it's relatively inexpensive. Does anyone else think the "stealth" style HU's look much, much better than the traditional style with all of the knobs and buttons visible?

So what exactly is the problem with Sony HU's? Would it not sound as good as an equivalently-priced Alpine? Are there any great features that I'd be missing out on? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

I'm going to show off my nooby side.

I honestly don't know whats so bad about Sony cd players.

I kept my stock HU so I havent done a lot of research on headunits so I shouldnt be answering this at all.

I think they are pretty equivalent, but I also agree with Pioneer and Alpine HUs being the best bang for the buck when it comes to features.

Just my two cents.

-Matt

I think it's mostly hearsay or bandwagons that people post their comments on.

Sony used to have a very high end line that were considered competition material called the ES line. That line was dropped 3 years ago, and was replaced what is now called Xplod. Today's line is nothing compared in sound quality, reliability, and performance wise as the ES line. I work at a shop and I honestly can say the HU's don't have that many problems as their amps, subs, and speakers do. They have pretty horrendous QA in that department.

i just cant stand flashy screens and useless stuff on most headunits. all the pioneers around my town that people have are all the same. flip down face, animations of racecars, dolphins and scuba divers. one even caught fire. i like plain and simple headunits that are built to just perform, thats why i chose alpine. but too i think a lot has to do w/ the fact i hate audio equipment that is built that looks like its only for show *caugh* audiobahn *cough* but pioneer does make good products. as jmac said pioneer does rank higher thn clarion here.

We bash Sonys speakers, amps, and subs more than their HUs. There's also the fact that for the money you're spending on the Sony, you could be spending it on something we consider better.

i usually just hate the layout and usability of the sony HU's my freind has one and the rmote is eisier to use than the deck, so he velcroed it to his consle and just uses that, i have a heck of a time using that thing, it doesnt event have station preset buttons

things like you can not find an easy way 2 put aux input even though you have bus inputs

anyway thats my problem with my Sony HU all the other brands have a fix for abt £10 $20 and sony way will cost £100

I've seen a lot of Sony screens go out over the last few years ...
BTW, the ES line was dropped in 2001 ... It's now 2005 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
i'd listen to people such as this man before i made any rational decisions about headunits. that is the whole point of this forum so that people that have experienced the good and the bad can save people like me and u from making expensive mistakes //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

things like you can not find an easy way 2 put aux input even though you have bus inputs
anyway thats my problem with my Sony HU all the other brands have a fix for abt £10 $20 and sony way will cost £100
The HU that I posted pictures of (CDX-M8805x) has aux-inputs. For pretty much any brand, the more inexpensive HU's won't come with these inputs.

i have the m8805x...its ok....the fearures are ok and it plays fine....nothing bad to say except the motorized face makes alot of noise as well as when you put in or take out a cd...

I used to have a sony, only reason i dont have it now is because my car got totalled and the insurance company wouldnt give it back. I liked it, good features for the price, and pretty reliable.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.