Why are new Alpine head units so crappy?

ma61
10+ year member

NY
I searched but I couldnt come up with anything.

Why do the latest models of Alpine head units seem really cheap and junky?

They dont have motorized faces anymore, and they just seem kinda cheapy.

Did Alpine get bought out or something, or are they just starting to cut costs like every other manufacturer.

As far as I am concerned, the last good model year was 2004. And even then I still know people who have had problems with the contacts on thier face plates, and the unit shutting off.

probably have to do a little with alpine being available in best buys and CC's. they have to produce more so they gotta find an easier way to produce them. their top of the line models are still good right?

probably make the good stuff for the audio enthusiasts like most of us and mass produce the models in cc's and bb's for the people that just want a pretty HU with fun colors.

and like the auto industry and just about every other industry found out in the 70's. if you make too good of a product demand will go way down when the products still work 30 years later. nothing is made to last anymore. like something like my mom's hand mixer she had the same one for 30 years. it finally broke and shes been through 3 in about 5 years. things just arent made to last.

i got a 9887 in the car, and the flip down doesnt feel cheapy at all. its almost got like a hydraulic feel to it.

although i do agree that it was a step down from the 9835. i would have gotten that one if it were not for the ipod control.

nothing is made to last anymore. like something like my mom's hand mixer she had the same one for 30 years. it finally broke and shes been through 3 in about 5 years. things just arent made to last.
werd up. my mom had this freezer since she was a kid (say 40 or so years ago) and we finally gave it up last year.

i just got my alpine 9887 today i agree with flakko i don't think flip down cheap at all i love mine really a step up for me though from my last hu i know that:D.

i just got my alpine 9887 today i agree with flakko i don't think flip down cheap at all i love mine really a step up for me though from my last hu i know that:D.
There is no question if they are cheap or not... They are.

I want to know WHY they are cheap.

Technology typically = fragile ::shrugs:: Not always but start thinking of some things that technology went up on and the durability went down on. More components and things to go wrong inside of there

I think that the real issue is that the mid level models are all gone and that left only the really expensive models like the 99?? (single DIN DVD player without the screen but with ALL the other ish) and then the lower end models like the one I have that I hate. Would have bought the 9887 but it wasn't out at the time I needed a new unit and my 9813 (loved it) died (kinda my fault kinda not).

Gotta figure that they're building to a price point. They'll move a lot of units at the lower price point (

I helped tune a car with a 9887 and I felt that the quality was not like before. The buttons, knobs, and interface, didn't feel like 9835 quality.

It might be that I'm just use to my w200. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

i just want something that is of 35 quality, resembles the C701 controller, plays DVD audio without horrible load between track times and has a fucking optical output.

why is that so hard. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif

or even better. how about, a C701 controller that plays DVD audio without load between track times!?!

that would just make everything simpler and solve all my problems. the C701 is like 1.5" thick. so just throw a DVD thing behind it. hell, make it double din with a nice display and that would be even better. so just optical output from this thing + ainet cable and id be in business!

motorized face was dissolved to my knowledge due to the shitload of problems with the motorization...not to mention what was it really needed for anyway... All it did was im sure drive the price up for a "feature" required my noone.

^^^ thats because u spent a shitload^^^^ thats why it doesn't feel cheap..... because yo **** aint cheap! lol
x2 on it wasn't cheap, but I don't think it is crappy either. Maybe talking about entry level, I guess?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.