• Spend the extra cash and go with the 4 year warranty

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Save that cash and take the 1 year standard warranty

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters

blsj1486
10+ year member

Memphis
Hello. First of all I'd like to thank you for reading this post and hopefully replying.

I'm new to car audio, I'm more of a computer geek, and I want to add some bass to my car. I'm considering buying retail for the added warranty and piece of mind. Yea, I found out that retail shops mark up their equipment a ridiculous amount.

The thing is, I don't know much about audio. I'm sure I could take door panels apart, run the wire, and what not to install it, but I don't want to risk anything.

I figure I could save about $500 if I bought my equipment from the internet. I would also probably save another $100 by getting that equipment installed at a local shop instead of a retail shop.

My big question is: Is that $500 saved from buying wholesale a better deal than spending that money and having a 4 year comprehensive warranty to go with it?

I'm big on technology and I know it can die at anytime. I've sent gaming consoles back 3 times in half a year, had hard drives just up and die, etc. I don't want to invest 1k+ in a system and have it **** out after a year, but like I said I don't know a huge amount about car audio.

Thanks for the help.

save the money, because usually the warrenty only covers FACTORY DEFECTS and if you go with something wrong theyll tell you U did it....well thast juss my experience

Honestly it depends on whether its worth it or not to you, im not sure where your getting the stuff, 4 year warranty maybe best buy?

Honestly their warranties kick ass if they have the stuff you want, sure your paying full retail unless you get them to give you a deal (which you can) so in the end you just have to decide if the extra money is worth the piece of mind to you

and just to let you know, if you buy wholesale/online normally you get no warranty whatsoever

Buy online, you can get a better product for the price, than you can buying a mass production piece at a retail chain. You can take that $500 saved, and invest into better equipment too.

I picked up some memphis subwoofers years ago with a 4 year warranty (retail) but i don't think they do that anymore, and i paid way under retail.. They've been damaged in a car accident, damaged by a hurricane (water damage), blown the dustcap off, so much abuse, and they've never questioned getting me a new one within a few weeks..

if you're not buying McIntosh or Rainbows top of the line, buy online.

here's a little 411, Circuit City has a 2% profit margin per store on product sales. those same product sales now including their "warranty" that they say covers everything including physical damage (Bull$hi+) they now have a 65% profit margin on those same products.

One thing I would consider is this...

If in fact your part is warrantied, you need to ask the warranty company if they plan on replacing the defective unit with a new piece, or a refurbished piece. If they replace it with a new "current model" I'd say fork the dough over for the extended warranty then in 3.5 years, blow up what ever you have and get it covered.

I have purchased a few cordless phones from BestBuy and purchased the 2 year warranty and have always took the phones back and got new ones.

If they are going to repair or replace the defective unit with a refurbished piece, I'd say pass on that. There are too many deals to be had on line.

One thing I would consider is this...
If in fact your part is warrantied, you need to ask the warranty company if they plan on replacing the defective unit with a new piece, or a refurbished piece. If they replace it with a new "current model" I'd say fork the dough over for the extended warranty then in 3.5 years, blow up what ever you have and get it covered.

I have purchased a few cordless phones from BestBuy and purchased the 2 year warranty and have always took the phones back and got new ones.

If they are going to repair or replace the defective unit with a refurbished piece, I'd say pass on that. There are too many deals to be had on line.

Yea, the equipment would be from Best Buy. I'll definately get the exact details on the warranty. 20 bucks per sub for 4 years does a sound a little good to be true. I believe the rep said as long as I didn't take a hammer to the equipment it's covered.

Yea, the equipment would be from Best Buy. I'll definately get the exact details on the warranty. 20 bucks per sub for 4 years does a sound a little good to be true. I believe the rep said as long as I didn't take a hammer to the equipment it's covered.
Ok, so coming from a retail background the four year warranty is worth it...you can go in before the warranty is up and tell them that something is wrong...if you tell them something that they can't test (like the sub will shut off randomly or something like that) then they will replace it. Even if they don't want to if you talk to the managers it will happen...sounds like a lot of work but it is really easy.

the big box stores do sell nice stuff....unless you are looking for a competition style setup. If you want nice from big box stores I would stick with:

Best Buy: Rockford Amps, Alpine Subs, Alpine Decks, Infinity Speakers

Circuit City: MTX Subs/Amps, Kicker Subs, Eclipse Amps

Car Toys: JL Amps/Subs/Speakers, Infinity Speakers, Rockford Amps, Alpine Subs/Decks

Also, going with a big box (Besides Car Toys) you get a lifetime guarantee on the labor that they provide....that combined with the 4 year product warranty and you are basically set to maintain the quality of your system.

As far as the warranty goes I got a new type R 12 for free...i upgraded from a rockford 500-2 to a 1000.1 for the price difference, I got a new alpine deck, new speakers (new models...comparable) and a bunch of other non car audio crap (new Type N Router instead of G)....rambling now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

blsj1486

10+ year member
blsj1486
Memphis
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views