Who can figure this out?

Participant count
  • Participant list

the727kid
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
St. Pete, FL
I have having a very odd issue with my amplifier. It is a Kicker ZX850.4, was working fine until a few days ago. The issue is the amp shuts down after only a few minutes of play.

#1. The issue is to consistent to be a loose wire.

#2. The amp shuts off completely, no red light for protection, but it does show a green light when it is on.

#3. When the amp is off, the DMM reads 12v at power and 12v at remote.

#4. I tried by-passing the fuse to see if that is the problem, didn't help.

#5. Tried running the remote directly from the ACC instead of the MS8 and no luck with that.

#6. The amp will not turn back on unless it has been sitting for a decent amount of time.

Other than this I am pretty much stumped. I would be guessing something went wrong with the amp, but I don't know why it would turn on a play perfectly fine then shut off.

Did you check the impedance of your speakers at the amp with the amp off? Might have a short somewhere in the wiring or the speakers/crossovers.
This.

also might try letting it sit on with nothing connected, see if it gets warm without doing anything. Ive had amps do this.

Impendence is reading fine.. 3.6ish for the mids and 6.7ish for the tweets. An issue like that though I would imagine would put the amp into protect not shut it off completely. It doesn't get warm by its self either.

There is a local Kicker Dealer that also repairs amps, I guess I am going to have to stop by there.

If the car has been sitting for several hours, it will shut off in around ~5 minutes. If the car has been sitting for only an hour or so it will shut off withing 90 seconds. If the car has been sitting for 20 or less minutes it will not turn on.

sounds like you have a bad battery up front or a bad Wire connection on the battery. you can also check your Ground. is your Ground completely cleaned and scraped to bare metal? and on the frame?

sounds like you have a bad battery up front or a bad Wire connection on the battery. you can also check your Ground. is your Ground completely cleaned and scraped to bare metal? and on the frame?
Battery is good, tried different power and ground wires. Ground is directly to the battery since it is in the trunk.

You said in item: "#3. When the amp is off, the DMM reads 12v at power and 12v at remote."

Are you having this problem when the engine is running or off?

Either way, you should have had a higher voltage reading (12.5-12.9 engine off and 13.6-14.4 engine running).

It's best for you to be very specific so you we can get accurate info and provide accurate solutions.

My guess is that it is the remote wire is dropping voltage or current limited (this happens all the time).

Try this: (assuming you have proper power and ground connections)

1. Disconnect the remote wire from the amp (very important part).

2. Place a jumper wire from the amp remote input terminal to the amp constant + terminal (the amp should turn on).

3. Turn on the head unit and try for a period of time past when it would have normally have shut off.

4. If the amp stays on and works correctly, the problem is your remote source (loose wire connection or head unit problem) which is easily fixed.

Let us know.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.