Which SEAS textile or aluminum?

srtmat

I'm looking to replace the tweets from my PG RSD 6.5's. One sounds like it's shot. I think I've narrowed it down to the SEAS but I'm not sure which one is best.

I'm running passive off the stock PG crossover with about 100 watts. Tweeters are located in the sail panels. Both sets say they play down to 2500 hz but I can't find any good hard data on the crossover point on the PG crossover I think I heard 2700 hz.

I don't think I can go wrong with either. I'm just looking for something smooth not to bright.

Any input or other suggestions would be great.

thanks

Mat O

If the tweeters are close to your ears I've found its best to go with a soft dome.

Metal domes tend to be brighter, which works best mounted low in the doors or kick panels.

I really doubt you would hear much, if any, difference between the two. They are essentially the same tweeter.

I've heard that the Neo Alum is actually rather laid back for a metal dome tweeter.

I really doubt you would hear much, if any, difference between the two. They are essentially the same tweeter.
I've heard that the Neo Alum is actually rather laid back for a metal dome tweeter.
They are not bright like a normal metal dome can be. Alum domes would be a good choice for what you plan to do.

Wow thanks for the quick response guys!

I think I might give the metal domes a try.

Do any of you have an idea on the PG crossover point?

Wow thanks for the quick response guys!I think I might give the metal domes a try.

Do any of you have an idea on the PG crossover point?
no, but I installed a pair of the Sea's last year for a guy as replacements for the blown tweeters in his RSD set and they sounded fine.

Those Seas tweets are going to be very accurate. Bad recordings will sound bad. Some people recommend using a xover point of around 5Khz or so for these guys.

I am running this system off a IDA-305 ipod only head unit. Needless to say a lot of my music is only 128 bit recordings. Not the greatest sound quality. Maybe I should look elsewhere?

Mat

^^^The seas will work good, just call PG up & ask them what are the xover pionts for that passive xover.

I had the Seas & yes they do say you can cross them over that low but becareful ,mine didnt like it that low.

If you're to be going raw driver, maybe you should look at a large format tweeter?

if you blow the vioce on a large format tweeter you'll be able to replace the voice coil. verse if you buy from Madisound & Partsexpress small compact tweeters & you blow one you're just stuck with that blown tweeters.

Once you get use to a large format tweeter you'll never want to go back to compact tweeters

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8646

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8647

I have the seas alums playing with my pg mids

I crossed them at 3.2khz

They are very detailed tweets!

BTW....I had to do some fine tuning to eliminate the brightness (tweets are above the dash). Not as bad as the other metal tweeters Ive listened to.

The SEAS textile tweets matched up really well with the MLI-65's for me in a recent install.
those Mach5 mids are nice

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

when I get tired of the PGs I will pick them up again lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.