Which glue to use for carbon fiber vinyl?

What do you mean? The looks or the workability? The material should be here tomorrow. If its that bad, I may use standard gray vinyl.

If the panels are flat I'd use regular contact cement (like Weldwood) that you paint on. If you need to stretch the vinyl, you'll need a Landau Top contact cement that needs to be sprayed.

-chris

I tend to agree with ucp . That carbon fiber vinyl doesn't look very well. It tends to distort alot with stretching. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Trim Tack works great. It's the best spray-can adhesive I've used. It's almost as strong as Weldwood Contact Cement. If you have an air compressor and want to pick up a cheap spray gun, the Weldwood spray grade gallon is great. I like the Trim Tack for vinyl since you're able to reposition the material if a bubble forms. It's stuck for good with Weldwood.

The brush method will work, but it doesn't spread as smoothly. If just one part doesn't have glue on it, you're going to get a bubble with vinyl.

I buy Trim Tack from http://www.able-audio.com Way better than any 3M garbage.

Ok...I just tried this stuff..I was kind sceptical (sp?) about it at first...but go to your local hardware store (ace for me) and get the RED CAN of 3M 77 Sticky....it works great....tacks up within under 5 minutes and holds really well...once you put it on the vinyl and wait a few...you can start folding it and it will stick within a few minutes.

3M holds well at first and covers very nicely, but loses its ability to stick within time. I built many boxes using it only to find nearly every one having adhesion problems a few months later. I used Super 77 on these.

It's seriously not a good choice for boxes. I've even asked for second opinions and had many shop owners/installers agree about the adhesion issues.

Hopefully there won't be a problem with vinyl. My home theater sub is vinyled and I think I used the 3M on it and haven't had any problems.

I'll agree with you, on flat panels that involve little stretching. I have seen some carbon fiber vinyl that looked decent on accent panels and such. But Stevie Wonder could tell you it's not real carbon fiber. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.