Which Comps would you use?

Participant count
  • Participant list

GreenBook
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Michigan
I haven't been around the forum in a while, mainly because I'm quite happy with my setup; mostly thanks to all the awesome people on these boards.

Well, quite a while ago one of the woofers from my Kenwoods in my sig fried in my door, so now I'm looking to replace the set. Due to budget, I'm only found a couple set in my price and RMS range that look reliable:

Type S 600C/610C

Infinity Reference 6030cs

Kenwood KFC-P709PS

Cadence CWM6KIT

I was also looking at the Kicker DS65.2 but their only rated at 60rms & I know that my 350.4's birth certificate rated from 414 watts rms @ 2ohms, not sure what that breaks down too @ 4ohms But I don't think think the Kickers would be safe in the long run.

I'd really like to know if there is any difference between the 2 Alpine comps besides the grille, stat wise they seem identical on Crutchfield.

The Cadence comps look tempting; but they might be too deep for my doors, I'm not sure. I have mounting brackets from other speakers that could probably give me an extra 1/4 in. in depth though.

What I need most out of them is solid mids, or atleast more balance. The tweeters are mounted up high by the side mirrors, but the woofers are down low at the bottom of the door panel, so they aren't as easy to hear. My last set had really loud tweeters so it was like there was almost no mid range at all. I have a feeling the new model Kenwoods are probably the same way. They'll be running off my 350.4 (obviously); and I have Pioneer 2-ways in the back already running off the amp; not the greatest speakers but they haven't blown and you can hear them over the subs.

Any opinions or advice you can give me would be great.

Well, since no one was warm harted enough to help a stranger; I took apart the doors, measured the clearance for the window when it's rolled down & ordered the Cadences.

I'm going to be cutting an adapter / spacer outta mdf to give it a little more room & because the mounting ring for the woofers doesn't fit the stock opening. The kit completely lacked mounting hardware. If anyone cares to see how it turns out or how the set performs let me know, otherwise I won't bother.

Alpine Type S are not known to be great performers. If going with Alpine, I'd consider Alpine Type-R or Alpine Type-X Ref. Type-X Ref tweeters are considered among the best on the market, but mids are pretty average with weak lows. Type-R tweeters are not the most detailed, but they're smooth. However, the mids have better midbass than Type-X Ref, but not as good as say Polk MM.

I have hard briefly the coaxial version of those Infinity speakers. Tweeters are fairly detailed and mids felts on the weak side. However, my doors weren't deadened at that point. They're not bad if your subwoofer can be crossed effectively at around 80Hz or more. You generally need a good SQ sub for that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.