What's the difference in speakers?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ceezer
10+ year member

Let's say we have 2 subs with similar specs on paper. For this example lets say both are 4 Ohm DVC 10s that handle 200W RMS. And for the sake of this example, let's say that both require the same air space and will be powered by the same amp (i.e. try one out, remove it from the box and substitute with the other). With these things all being, what makes one louder than the other? Is it the type of material used

What other specs are there to consider when comparing? I'm looking around into subs in my price range and would like to know how to identify if a particular sub is designed more for SPL or SQ. I want to get louder but not at the sacrifice of sound quality, so I wouldn't want to buy something that is suited more for a bigger bump.

I'd like to learn how to compare subs/speakers appropriately instead of just asking what others thought I should get.

Fs

Also called F0, measured in hertz (Hz). The frequency at which the combination of the moving mass and suspension compliance maximally reinforces cone motion. A more compliant suspension or a larger moving mass will cause a lower resonance frequency, and vice versa. Usually it is less efficient to produce output at frequencies below Fs, and input signals significantly below Fs can cause uncontrolled motion, mechanically endangering the driver. Woofers typically have an Fs in the range of 13–60 Hz. Midranges usually have an Fs in the range of 60–500 Hz and tweeters between 500 Hz and 4 kHz. A typical factory tolerance for Fs spec is ±15%.

Qts

A unitless measurement, characterizing the combined electric and mechanical damping of the driver. In electronics, Q is the inverse of the damping ratio. The value of Qts is proportional to the energy stored, divided by the energy dissipated, and is defined at resonance (Fs). Most drivers have Qts values between 0.2 and 0.8.

Qms

A unitless measurement, characterizing the mechanical damping of the driver, that is, the losses in the suspension (surround and spider.) A typical value is around 3. High Qms indicates lower damping losses, and low Qms indicates higher. The main effect of Qms is on the impedance of the driver, with high Qms drivers displaying a higher impedance peak. One predictor for low Qms is a metallic voice coil former. These act as eddy-current brakes and increase damping, reducing Qms. They must be designed with an electrical break in the cylinder (so no conducting loop). Some speaker manufacturers have placed shorted turns at the top and bottom of the voice coil to prevent it leaving the gap, but the sharp noise created by this device when the driver is overdriven is alarming and was perceived as a problem by owners.

Qes

A unitless measurement, describing the electrical damping of the loudspeaker. As the coil of wire moves through the magnetic field, it generates a current which opposes the motion of the coil. This so-called "Back-EMF" decreases the total current through the coil near the resonance frequency, reducing cone movement and increasing impedance. In most drivers, Qes is the dominant factor in the voice coil damping. Qes depends on amplifier output impedance. The formula above assumes zero output impedance. When an amplifier with nonzero output impedance is used, its output impedance should be added to Re for calculations involving Qes.

Bl

Measured in tesla-metres (T·m). Technically this is B x l (vector cross product or B * l * sin(θ)), but the standard geometry of a circular coil in an annular voice coil gap gives sin(θ)=1. Bl is also known as the 'force factor' because the force on the coil imposed by the magnet is Bl multiplied by the current through the coil. The higher the Bl value, the larger the force generated by a given current flowing through the voice coil. Bl has a very strong effect on Qes.

Vas

Measured in litres (L) or cubic metres, is a measure of the free air 'stiffness' of the suspension -- the driver must be mounted in free air. It represents the volume of air that has the same stiffness as the driver's suspension when acted on by a piston of the same area (Sd) as the cone. Larger values mean lower stiffness, and generally require larger enclosures. Vas varies with the square of the diameter. A typical factory tolerance for Vas spec is ±20-30%.

Mms

Measured in grams (g) or kilograms (kg), this is the mass of the cone, coil and other moving parts of a driver, including the acoustic load imposed by the air in contact with the driver cone. Mmd is the cone mass without the acoustic load, and the two should not be confused. Some simulation software calculates Mms when Mmd is entered.

Rms

Units are not usually given for this parameter, but it is in mechanical 'ohms'. Rms is a measurement of the losses, or damping, in a driver's suspension and moving system. It is the main factor in determining Qms. Rms is influenced by suspension topology, materials, and by the voice coil former (bobbin) material.

Cms

Measured in metres per newton (m/N). Describes the compliance (ie, the inverse of stiffness) of the suspension. The more compliant a suspension system is, the lower its stiffness, so the higher the Vas will be.

Re

Measured in ohms (Ω), this is the DC resistance of the voice coil. American EIA standard RS-299A specifies that DCR should be at least 80% of the rated driver impedance, so an 8-ohm rated driver will have a DC resistance of at least 6.4 ohms, and a 4-ohm unit should measure 3.2 ohms minimum. Advertised values are often approximate at best.

Le

Measured in millihenries (mH), this is the inductance of the voice coil. The coil is a lossy inductor, in part due to losses in the pole piece, so the apparent inductance changes with frequency. Large Le values limit the high frequency output of the driver and cause response changes near cutoff. Simple modeling software often neglects Le, and so does not include its consequences. Including a copper cap on the pole piece or a copper shorting ring on it, can reduce the increase in impedance seen at higher frequencies in typical drivers.

Sd

Measured in square metres (m²). The effective area of the cone or diaphragm. It varies with the conformation of the cone, and details of the surround. Generally accepted as the cone body diameter plus half the width of the annulus (surround). Wide roll surrounds can have significantly less Sd than conventional types.

Xmax

Specified in millimeters (mm). In the simplest form, subtract the height of the voice coil winding from the height of the magnetic gap, take the absolute value and divide by 2. This technique was suggested by JBL's Mark Gander in a 1981 AES paper, as an indicator of a loudspeaker motor's linear range. Although easily determined, it neglects non-linearities and limitations introduced by the suspension, which are substantial for some drivers. Subsequently, a combined mechanical/acoustical measure was suggested, in which a driver is progressively driven to high levels at low frequencies, with Xmax determined at 10% THD. This method better represents actual driver performance, but is harder and more time-consuming to determine.

Vd

Specified in litres (L). The volume displaced by the cone, equal to the cone area (Sd) multiplied by Xmax. A particular value may be achieved in any of several ways. For instance, by having a small cone with a large Xmax, or a large cone with a small Xmax. Comparing Vd values will give an indication of the maximum output of a driver at low frequencies. High Xmax, small cone diameter drivers are likely to be inefficient, since much of the voice coil winding will be outside the magnetic gap at any one time and will therefore contribute little or nothing to cone motion. Likewise, large cone diameter, small Xmax drivers are likely to be more efficient as they will not need, and so may not have, long voice coils. Improved matching between the driver diaphragm and the air can change the effective value of cone displacement, in which case the T/S models no longer strictly apply.

η0

Specified in percent (%). Comparing drivers by their reference efficiency is more useful than using 'sensitivity' since manufacturer sensitivity figures are too often optimistic.

Sensitivity

The sound pressure, in dB, produced by a speaker in response to a specified stimulus. Usually this is specified at an input of 1 Watt or 2.83Volts (2.83 Volts = 1 Watt into an 8 Ohms load) at a distance of one metre.

I printed your post out this morning, looking at it over the course of the day during down-periods, and... egads! How does anyone short of having a background in electrical engineering select a sub?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.