What's causing this?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Kangaroux
5,000+ posts

I put on
Maine
got my 15" hooked up to my ap1500. now, i know the ap isn't by any means a clean power amp but I don't think it should be causing this.

When I turn up my gains so it's pushing a decent amount of power (@ 1 ohm) the sub sounds sloppy I guess. like, the volume is constantly oscillating. i'm not sure if this is caused by clipping, or poor electrical to back it up. all electrical is stock minus the bat up front which has been upgraded. 1/0 was used for everything, any bass boosts are off.

i'm planning on doing the big 3 soon so that should help. i'm just wondering if the sloppiness is coming from the audiopipe putting out dirty power or if my voltage is dropping, or possibly a combo of the two

I wouldn't describe distortion as sounding sloppy...

It could be the box.. or you could just be hearing things that arn't really there.. audio is very subjective and its not at all uncommon for someone to percieve a difference in sound when there is none at all.. (ie when changing out amps)

I wouldn't describe distortion as sounding sloppy...
It could be the box.. or you could just be hearing things that arn't really there.. audio is very subjective and its not at all uncommon for someone to percieve a difference in sound when there is none at all.. (ie when changing out amps)
no as i turn up the gain past like 1kw i can see the cone not moving in a linear fashion, it's like someone is taking the bass knob and turning it back and forth really fast.

maybe sloppy is the wrong word, but if you've ever like downloaded a song from youtube that was in 240p and played it you would notice that the bass wasn't linear. the 240p made it so the bass almost has random peaks and dips in it, that's how this sounds

i would check for grounding issue first, and voltage drops at the amp. try an mp3 player with a cord and test tone to make sure it's steady, and not searching rca ground

i would check for grounding issue first, and voltage drops at the amp. try an mp3 player with a cord and test tone to make sure it's steady, and not searching rca ground
i'll check for voltage later today. my grounding point for the amp is solid but the rca's are kinda cheezy. if the voltage is fine ill look to pickup a decent pair of rca's.

could be interferance... power on the right, signal on the left... good shielding. not being pinched. All connections solid... intermitted voltage drops from the source or turn on lead... tinsels touching... wires crossed?

could be interferance... power on the right, signal on the left... good shielding. not being pinched. All connections solid... intermitted voltage drops from the source or turn on lead... tinsels touching... wires crossed?
wiring is good, power is on the left rca's on the right

^^ LOL

129169185037516840.jpg

Just kidding man, I had to..... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

What size alternator? How long is your ground and is it grounded to the chassis? Is it a solid ground that you sanded and made sure has good contact?

sounds like its clipping, and poor power... big three would help alot probably... even if you ran 1/0 ... the ground that your really feeding from (the one from the batt to chassis) is prolly 8 gauge at best right now

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.