What would you do?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Raisedin305
5,000+ posts

Banned
Miami,FL
Hey I want to build a custom box for SPL. I like to attend SPL competitions. Right now I have to 15" L7s running off an orion 2500d amp. I want to be able to hit high numbers with a good box. However be aware that I do use this as a daily driver to. I currently have two ported boxes in my car that arent to big but they arent too bad either. They can get loud and some really good. I have a 2005 ford expedition. I was thinking of just making a box for just SPL and tunning it to about 55hz and keeping the two boxes for just daily driving. Should I do this? Would you guys do it? What would you guys do? What size box would you build. People say that I do really need a big box since im already over powering the subs. Should I build it big for SPL?

How do I make a removable port? Ive heard about this but never knew how to make it. The origanal plan was to make a box 7.8 cubic ft tuned to 35hz but that is good for daily driving. I want something or two things for daily driving and another for spl.

I am not sure entirely how to do it, but I know it can be done..

If you want two seperate boxes, then go for it. Tune one to 55Hz (or which ever you choose for comps), and then another at 35Hz (or again, whatever you choose.) You will not be going to comps every day, so it wont be that big of a deal swapping enclosures, especially in an SUV.

I am not sure entirely how to do it, but I know it can be done..
If you want two seperate boxes, then go for it. Tune one to 55Hz (or which ever you choose for comps), and then another at 35Hz (or again, whatever you choose.) You will not be going to comps every day, so it wont be that big of a deal swapping enclosures, especially in an SUV.
Yeah exactly its not going to be such a pain in the ass to do. Gives me something to do over the weekend actually:laugh: My biggest deal would actually be keeping the box in the garage which isnt a big deal.
Anyways if you were me what size would you make the box for SPL if you were running my setup? This of course is going to be a ported box.

Im running two 15" L7s with an orion 2500d running at .5ohm

i think that i heard jmac does enclosure designs with a "port plug" so you can use the same box for daily and for comps...u might want to PM him..

i would make a 12 ft cubed box tunable at 60hz with 2 15x15in ports that are 9 inches deep.if you want to be loud. then you can to two drop in ports for daily driving. but for boom go big with big port, trust me.

You do NOT want to tune to 55hz, its really going to screw you up. That expedition probably peaks in the very low 50s or high high 40s. Tuning around 43hz should gain you a good amount. In my explorer, tuning around 40hz will allow me to peak at 51hz.

The plan was for me to build him a 7.8cuft at 36 for a daily driver AND for soem comps, hes already over powering his subs, why make a bigger box.

I dont care bout the box size what im worried about is the HZ for comps. I want something around 45hz for comps. Can some one give me a link to how to make port plugs?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Raisedin305

5,000+ posts
Banned
Raisedin305
Miami,FL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date