what to do???

Participant count
  • Participant list

brianjw

Will try to make this short and thanks for anybodys help in advance. Been having a bit of trouble with my system. It started about 2 months ago. When stereo is on at a low to moderate level, my subs will fade in and out....if you turn up the volume, they seem to kick back in and operate as they should. Doesnt do it all the time. Its about to drive me crazy!!! lol thought it was my amp but changed it out for the kicker mono block and now its started to do it. Amp doesn't go into protection mode or turn off. When i get it to do it while the car is parked, subs will go from bumping to barely moving at all. Everything seems to be hooked up properly. Install was done 2 years ago and havent had a problem until recently.... Don't know what to do. Any suggestions????

Also check your RCAs. Your amp is amplifying the AC signal its getting from your head unit so as you turn the volume knob on your deck up, that signal strength goes up in accordance. It sounds to me like the signal is so weak at lower volume that once you turn up the volume enough, the signal is strong enough for the amp to properly boost the signal its receiving. This could be from a bad or loose connection on one or both of the RCAs. If you find that the RCAs aren't snug on the deck and/or at the amp you can gently give the outer casing of the RCAs a squeeze with a pair of plyers, while unplugged from the source, to allow the casing to slide back on more tightly.

Since it wasnt the amp I would guess its the HU. Im guessing the volume control on your HU may be fluctuating. Just a guess though, buy one at best buy or anyone who has a return policy , try it and if its not the HU then go get your refund. Take the map back too since you didnt need it and buy the HU with that if money is tight.

An alternative to what mrpep suggested would be to stick an iPod or something right on the amp. Use a 3.5mm to RCA y-cable (fairly common, if you don't have one you should be able to find one most places for $5). That takes the RCA cable and the HU out of the equation for troubleshooting.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

brianjw

brianjw
southern illinois
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Umbra