What kind of roll off do you get when you..

Roll off is steeper below the tuning frequency than above. If you lack the higher end subwoofer response, may even be able to EQ it. Still depends on the driver and how well the enclosure is suited for it.

I tuned a 15 zcon to 27 just for shits and giggles and was not getting the response I expected. Loud as **** but the lows were anemic. Turned the box around to face the rear and BAM! the lows are ignorant! Didn't lose anything either. Install, install...

Roll off is steeper below the tuning frequency than above. If you lack the higher end subwoofer response, may even be able to EQ it. Still depends on the driver and how well the enclosure is suited for it.
There is very little you can do to make up for the loss of top end with EQ if the subwoofer cannot already do so.

If you want to see a real world graph that shows it, download winISD. From what I've seen, it occurs a lot like jeff explains. You can lower the tuning and it basically just moves the "peak(?)" lower and flatter while the roll off moves lower while sacrificing some of the higher end by making it marginally lower ~1-3db from what I've seen from 40hz up.

I'll see if i can get some pictures of the graphs to illustrate what I'm saying.

Probably best, but sometimes not feasible solution is to have midbass drivers. I feel like, in practicality, to tune lower is better for music and at the same time pick a woofer that can play that high while also pairing with a mid that can play fairly low.

If you want to see a real world graph that shows it, download winISD. From what I've seen, it occurs a lot like jeff explains. You can lower the tuning and it basically just moves the "peak(?)" lower and flatter while the roll off moves lower while sacrificing some of the higher end by making it marginally lower ~1-3db from what I've seen from 40hz up.
I'll see if i can get some pictures of the graphs to illustrate what I'm saying.
That'd be appreciated.

Here's an example, this is with the same airspace and a lower tuning, the port size is changed according to whatever winISD believes is optimum for that tuning so the only variable changing here is the port (tuning).

I modeled two ported dayton 12s a while back, here we have two drivers in 2.8 cubes tuned to 35hz:

3f0004b406bf17068cbcbe22da32d8b7.png

The exact same setup with a different tuning of 30hz:

eec63b6a12a4774554589c0cdb30dd71.png

and again with 25hz just to show the progression

a3ec60f5a756b4a615b531c8b0c43f11.png

keep in mind that this does not tell the whole story, if you add more volume and want to tune lower, things change:

54f9beb220594123482f6b0864805cdd.png

Yeah WinISD is a great tool to have if you're building your own enclosures. I usually end up modeling half a dozen different sizes and tunings before I decide on one. It's not going to be exact because it varies based on the vehicle but it's good to get a comparison between different setups in an 'ideal' environment.

I have an unquenchable thirst for extreme lows so my last two boxes have been tuned at 29hz and 28hz respectively with good results. They didn't sound any different (curve-wise) than my higher 33-34hz tuned boxes but the lows were more present. But like I said, my thirst for lows is unquenchable so my next box is going to be a 24hz t-line just mostly as an experiment and if I'm happy, I'll stick with it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.